• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ugh, is my blower fan dead?

Blower fan has been working fine. All of a sudden not turning on. Hadn't experienced any noise or other issues with it in the past.  All three speeds worked just fine before. Assumed it was a fuse but fuse is good. Checked voltage at the top of the fan and I'm getting 12 volts there. Not really in the mood to change this fan, but is there any other test I can do before declaring it dead?

Edited by RenaissanceMan

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

15 minutes ago, esty said:

see if you can spray some lube in there and try and give it a spin with a screw driver or whatever you can use

That's the thing... It actually spins very freely. For some reason it does not want to power up. ?

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

38 minutes ago, Geoff Raynak said:

ground?

there is a chance that the grounding wire broke loose inside the box ...

can you shunt from the ground to the frame and see if it starts spinning?

activate the knob on the dash ... and then shunt the 'not +12v' side of the motor?

I actually did exactly this as a test, as well. I ran a ground lead from the chassis to the ground spade connector on the motor. No spin action. ?

Adam in Nashville

Well ... only final test would be to fully remove both wire-harness spades and jump directly to the 12v ... or just a small 9v battery.  

If it spins freely but does not engage with direct excitation.  ... it may mean the brushes have dislodged.  

Which means you will likely need to open it up and poke around.  

Did you hit any big potholes or anything that would have bounced stuff around?

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

10 minutes ago, Geoff Raynak said:

Well ... only final test would be to fully remove both wire-harness spades and jump directly to the 12v ... or just a small 9v battery.  

If it spins freely but does not engage with direct excitation.  ... it may mean the brushes have dislodged.  

Which means you will likely need to open it up and poke around.  

Did you hit any big potholes or anything that would have bounced stuff around?

Just got off the phone with my father. He was the previous owner. He told me the same thing happened to him and he had to repair the brushes to get it to work. Somehow he was able to do this without removing the motor, but I'm waiting for him to tell me how.... No big bumps since I've had the car, but I'm hoping there is something I can do to remedy from the top! 

Adam in Nashville

Try removing the spades and testing it with jumper wires to the battery. If it doesn’t go your in for the “pull the heater box routine”. I don’t see how there is any possible way to repair it without taking it out. I’ve had to replace 2 of these in the last year. You may as well refresh all the foam on the flaps if you have to pull it. It’s a rabbit hole depending on how far you want to go. I can now get that heater box out in under 45 minutes! Only because I had take it out multiple times on each car before I got just right. I hope you find out it’s something simple.

1 hour ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Try removing the spades and testing it with jumper wires to the battery. If it doesn’t go your in for the “pull the heater box routine”. I don’t see how there is any possible way to repair it without taking it out. I’ve had to replace 2 of these in the last year. You may as well refresh all the foam on the flaps if you have to pull it. It’s a rabbit hole depending on how far you want to go. I can now get that heater box out in under 45 minutes! Only because I had take it out multiple times on each car before I got just right. I hope you find out it’s something simple.

I pulled the box out of one of my 2002tii's years ago, but that car didn't have a/c like this one. I'm dreading dealing with the increased headache from that. ?

Adam in Nashville

Did some part number searches and coming up with this Bosch motor for replacement. Can anyone confirm this is correct? Thanks-

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132088568166

Adam in Nashville

14 hours ago, RenaissanceMan said:

I pulled the box out of one of my 2002tii's years ago, but that car didn't have a/c like this one. I'm dreading dealing with the increased headache from that.

Behr or Frigiking A/C?  I did a column on pulling the heater from a Behr A/C-equipped 2002; PM me for a copy.  And I think I can help with a Frigiking, cause I've done one, just didn't write about it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite