RenaissanceMan

Ugh, is my blower fan dead?

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Blower fan has been working fine. All of a sudden not turning on. Hadn't experienced any noise or other issues with it in the past.  All three speeds worked just fine before. Assumed it was a fuse but fuse is good. Checked voltage at the top of the fan and I'm getting 12 volts there. Not really in the mood to change this fan, but is there any other test I can do before declaring it dead?

Edited by RenaissanceMan

see if you can spray some lube in there and try and give it a spin with a screw driver or whatever you can use

15 minutes ago, esty said:

see if you can spray some lube in there and try and give it a spin with a screw driver or whatever you can use

That's the thing... It actually spins very freely. For some reason it does not want to power up. ?

ground?

there is a chance that the grounding wire broke loose inside the box ...

can you shunt from the ground to the frame and see if it starts spinning?

activate the knob on the dash ... and then shunt the 'not +12v' side of the motor?

38 minutes ago, Geoff Raynak said:

ground?

there is a chance that the grounding wire broke loose inside the box ...

can you shunt from the ground to the frame and see if it starts spinning?

activate the knob on the dash ... and then shunt the 'not +12v' side of the motor?

I actually did exactly this as a test, as well. I ran a ground lead from the chassis to the ground spade connector on the motor. No spin action. 😞

Well ... only final test would be to fully remove both wire-harness spades and jump directly to the 12v ... or just a small 9v battery.  

If it spins freely but does not engage with direct excitation.  ... it may mean the brushes have dislodged.  

Which means you will likely need to open it up and poke around.  

Did you hit any big potholes or anything that would have bounced stuff around?

10 minutes ago, Geoff Raynak said:

Well ... only final test would be to fully remove both wire-harness spades and jump directly to the 12v ... or just a small 9v battery.  

If it spins freely but does not engage with direct excitation.  ... it may mean the brushes have dislodged.  

Which means you will likely need to open it up and poke around.  

Did you hit any big potholes or anything that would have bounced stuff around?

Just got off the phone with my father. He was the previous owner. He told me the same thing happened to him and he had to repair the brushes to get it to work. Somehow he was able to do this without removing the motor, but I'm waiting for him to tell me how.... No big bumps since I've had the car, but I'm hoping there is something I can do to remedy from the top! 

Try removing the spades and testing it with jumper wires to the battery. If it doesn’t go your in for the “pull the heater box routine”. I don’t see how there is any possible way to repair it without taking it out. I’ve had to replace 2 of these in the last year. You may as well refresh all the foam on the flaps if you have to pull it. It’s a rabbit hole depending on how far you want to go. I can now get that heater box out in under 45 minutes! Only because I had take it out multiple times on each car before I got just right. I hope you find out it’s something simple.

1 hour ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Try removing the spades and testing it with jumper wires to the battery. If it doesn’t go your in for the “pull the heater box routine”. I don’t see how there is any possible way to repair it without taking it out. I’ve had to replace 2 of these in the last year. You may as well refresh all the foam on the flaps if you have to pull it. It’s a rabbit hole depending on how far you want to go. I can now get that heater box out in under 45 minutes! Only because I had take it out multiple times on each car before I got just right. I hope you find out it’s something simple.

I pulled the box out of one of my 2002tii's years ago, but that car didn't have a/c like this one. I'm dreading dealing with the increased headache from that. 😬

I had that same problem one my first one. I was barely able to get it out without removing the A/C components. Hopefully you can do the same or not have to do it all! Best of luck.

14 hours ago, RenaissanceMan said:

I pulled the box out of one of my 2002tii's years ago, but that car didn't have a/c like this one. I'm dreading dealing with the increased headache from that.

Behr or Frigiking A/C?  I did a column on pulling the heater from a Behr A/C-equipped 2002; PM me for a copy.  And I think I can help with a Frigiking, cause I've done one, just didn't write about it.

mike

I forgot where I ordered mine but I bought the motor and a brand new plastic fan that pushes more air volume for $150. If you’re interested let me know and I dig thru my old email receipts.