Highnote1

Fender fit advice.

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I just finished my passenger side rocker and put the door back on to have a guide for the body lines. 

I started to then try and fit my W and N fender I have had a few months waiting for me. 

I am way off at every point! I thought I would start at the front first because of having to tuck the headlight end into the headlight surround...is that a good place to start?

It seems like there is way too much lip to get in that spot. I don't want to start cutting if I don't have to. 

Any advice? How much messing with this is normal. Cutting, hammer...so on?? Where did you start?

Dumb me thought this would be easy part after rocker, floors, and quarter!

Start at the front and be prepared to adjust the doors to the back edge of the fender. You may even have to adjust the installed depth of the rear of the fender to better fit the profile of the doors. 

Reproduction wings are likely to likely to be a bit odd shaped. Seen somebody add extra steel to the trailing edge to close the gap with the door, so a bit of trimming is likely. Do what you can but don’t beat yourself up trying to fit repro panels to a 40 odd year old car. Perfection will come at great personal cost, certainly lots of swearing. 

There's always the possibility that the front end has been damaged sometime in the car's life--or even the entire nose has been replaced.  Look carefully at the flange that's part of the nose panel where it laps over the leading edge of the inner fenders.  If that flange shows signs of buckling or shows a MIG weld line, then the nose has either been damaged or replaced.  From the factory that flange has barely noticeable spot welds and is perfectly flat.

It doesn't take much of a tap to make new front fenders not want to play nicely with the tweaked body shell...

mike

I had to cut the rear top 'ears' from the W&N fenders so they would sit further back. I welded back the 'ears' from the original panels to make them look OEM.