Guest BritshIron

Anco Rear Bumper Over-Rider Bar

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest BritshIron

Looking for a rear bumper over-rider bar, made by Anco. I think first available in 1972. My car has a  nice front Anco over-rider bar, but I need the rear. smith1127@aol.com

I think it was Amco. I've got one hanging on my wall that I likely will  not install. No clue on $.

• Like 1

If the chrome is ok (meaning without major rust or dents) I could swing $150.  Any chance you could send a photo.

Thanks.
Greg

• Sad 2

LJtii, I'm the guy who first posted as looking for the bumper over-rider. Happy to pay your price if it's restorable. I've got a good front tube over-rider, but no rear. Please write smith1127@aol.com. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, Greg in Virginia said:

If the chrome is ok (meaning without major rust or dents) I could swing $150.  Any chance you could send a photo.

Thanks.
Greg

Greg,

Did you actually step into someone else’s Want To Buy thread and try to buy the desired item out from under them.... 🤔

If so, that is a shitty thing to do! 🙁

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BritshIron said:

Conserv, I am a new member, and really appreciate your post. Thank you.

You’re welcome.  And welcome to the forum.  Most members behave better than Greg in Virginia.

(By the by, a Want To Buy thread such as yours should be posted within the Want To Buy Section of the Classifieds.)

Regards,

Steve 

• Like 1

Here's a quick story about ANCO vs. AMCO, vis-a-vis these tube bumper over-riders. When I got my 1600-2, it had a nice tube over-rider system on the front bumper, but just the regular bumper and bumperettes on the rear. After considering the looks of the car for a while, and seeing what the tube over-rider system looked like on the rear (from FAQ photographs), I decided to seek out the rear tube over-riders. 

"Who made these items?" was the first question to begin the search. I used search engines to try to find that answer specific to early BMW 2002-type cars. The only reference I could find was James Tayor's "The Restorer's Reference BMW 2002, 1968-1976, in which he says: "With the arrival of the high-performance 2002tii, aftermarket suppliers began to offer more accessories for the 02 range. New during the 1972 model year were Anco over-rider bars on the front and rear bumpers which proved quite popular." 

I also noted that Taylor's book index contained the item: "Anco over-rider bars (U.S. aftermarket option), page 122

So, I began my search in earnest for "Anco" bars--including the title to this post, my first on 2002 FAQ! (think, embarrassing)

Well, based on the comments above from members, I did some more research. I think Taylor either has a typo in his book or just got it wrong. Anco is a company we all know for windshield wiper assemblies, and they've been in business since the 1930's. However, AMCO stands for Appliance Manufacturing Company, they were based in Chicago, and were "makers of the well known Amco bumper and other motor-car specialties." I also knew I was on the right track when I read in the book: Jaguar E-Type: The Essential Buyers Guide, and in a discussion about concours quality bumpers author Peter Crespin admonishes "(bumpers) should have no holes from AMCO bars!" 

Anyway, the above was probably not high on anyone's edification list, but I was "unencumbered by knowledge" when I began the search for Amco tube bumper over-riders, and now feel like I know something about one thing. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritshIron said:

Here's a quick story about ANCO vs. AMCO, vis-a-vis these tube bumper over-riders. When I got my 1600-2, it had a nice tube over-rider system on the front bumper, but just the regular bumper and bumperettes on the rear. After considering the looks of the car for a while, and seeing what the tube over-rider system looked like on the rear (from FAQ photographs), I decided to seek out the rear tube over-riders. 

"Who made these items?" was the first question to begin the search. I used search engines to try to find that answer specific to early BMW 2002-type cars. The only reference I could find was James Tayor's "The Restorer's Reference BMW 2002, 1968-1976, in which he says: "With the arrival of the high-performance 2002tii, aftermarket suppliers began to offer more accessories for the 02 range. New during the 1972 model year were Anco over-rider bars on the front and rear bumpers which proved quite popular." 

I also noted that Taylor's book index contained the item: "Anco over-rider bars (U.S. aftermarket option), page 122

So, I began my search in earnest for "Anco" bars--including the title to this post, my first on 2002 FAQ! (think, embarrassing)

Well, based on the comments above from members, I did some more research. I think Taylor either has a typo in his book or just got it wrong. Anco is a company we all know for windshield wiper assemblies, and they've been in business since the 1930's. However, AMCO stands for Appliance Manufacturing Company, they were based in Chicago, and were "makers of the well known Amco bumper and other motor-car specialties." I also knew I was on the right track when I read in the book: Jaguar E-Type: The Essential Buyers Guide, and in a discussion about concours quality bumpers author Peter Crespin admonishes "(bumpers) should have no holes from AMCO bars!" 

Anyway, the above was probably not high on anyone's edification list, but I was "unencumbered by knowledge" when I began the search for Amco tube bumper over-riders, and now feel like I know something about one thing. Thank you.

James Taylor’s book has lots of good information in it.  It also has lots of errors.  Treat it accordingly.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to be clear, I of course ignored the lowball offer and have been talking just to British Iron.

• Like 2

LJtii, The Amco bar just arrived. It is absolutely beautiful. Not sure if you can remember where you found it, but I'm wondering if it has ever been installed. I could not be more pleased. Thanks to you, and to www.bmwfaq.com. I'll post a picture here when I get it mounted! Plus, it's my birthday!!

• Like 5

British Iron, I bought the bar through eBay about 15 years ago, having looked for the best one I could find. It was represented as NOS, and certainly appeared like it was just that. Glad you like it!