• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MidAmerica 02 Fest Update

BoBlack

18th Annual MidAmerica 02 Fest - 50 Anniversary Reunion

April 26-28

The website is ready for registration, meal ticket and gear orders.

No registration fee, or charge for Friday and Saturday dinners.

Friday BBQ dinner is sponsored by Terry Sayther Automotive.  Burgers & brats Saturday evening sponsored by the Stricklands, Hiddles & Crew, and Blunt Tech.

We have a good selection of t-shirts, caps, and fleece.  

Please take a few minutes and let us know if you will be dining with us Friday and Saturday, and preorder gear.  This is a GREAT HELP in our planning.  Cash or check at the event for the t-shirts, etc.  

http://midamerica02fest.com/register/

The hotel still has rooms, but they will sell out. 

Contact info and schedule is on the website. 

There will be a wide range of 02s - outstanding survivors, restorations, drivers, hot rods - all are welcome.  

02 folks are great - join us.

All registered and ready to go...

We're caravaning again this year.  Depart Wed 25 April from Dayton OH--via Cincy, Louisville then SW across KY & TN into northeast AR.  Overnight in Paragould AR and take back roads through the Ozarks to Eureka Springs.  Several join-up points for folks joining up en route.  

PM me with your e-mail for details and to be added to the caravan e-mail list.  Fun drive, and there's always the chance for some roadside diagnosis/repairs!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, mike said:

All registered and ready to go...

We're caravaning again this year.  Depart Wed 25 April from Dayton OH--via Cincy, Louisville then SW across KY & TN into northeast AR.  Overnight in Paragould AR and take back roads through the Ozarks to Eureka Springs.  Several join-up points for folks joining up en route.  

PM me with your e-mail for details and to be added to the caravan e-mail list.  Fun drive, and there's always the chance for some roadside diagnosis/repairs!

mike

Hi Mike,

Just a quick question regarding the caravan to Mid America. Are there usually many 4 speeds in the group or mostly 5 speeds? I'm leaning towards joining in but I'm somewhat hesitant about logging that many highway miles with a 4 speed. Also, as you know I just recently had my engine rebuilt by Performance Clinic in Beavercreek- thanks for recommending them as I'm very happy with their work so far. Although the car is running better than it ever has it scares me to drive that far with only about 300 miles since the rebuild. Interested in your feedback

Walter

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

Walter,

You'll be fine with a 4-speed. We use FRS radios to communicate when we need to stop for fuel, bio breaks and or lunch. Many of us have 5-speeds. The pace is usually the speed limit or 5 over at the most. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Walter,

I was in this group's caravan last year.  Lots of expertise in the train; not to worry.   My 4 speed (like all of them) was a little loud (the '02 Symphony) and lived in a few upper RPMs (yes, another gear would have been great).  However, it did swimmingly, as they say in England.  You, your gearbox, and your differential will get pleasantly used to it.  

Mike picks LOTS of non-interstate roads...and THAT'S where the fun of the trip comes in.

I have already signed up for this year's caravan with Mike and Andrew leading the way.

Larry

Cincinnati

• Like 1

Walter: We head back to Ohio on Sunday. I am driving a four-speed '02 with a recent (2017) engine rebuild. These cars are tough and they aren't opposed to high-revving, in fact, they enjoy it.

• Like 2

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

58 minutes ago, ingramlee said:

Thanks guys... What day does the group usually head back? Saturday or Sunday

What the other guys said.  We don't try to break any speed records either going or coming, even on the Interstates--and those back roads in AR are good for 60 or so on a good day.  

Our return drive is different--Mike Pugh put me onto this route several years ago.  We retrace our outbound route to Salem AR, then north to Mammoth Spring and cross into Missouri, where we take 142 and 160 through Poplar Bluff to where I-57 begins. The Louisville and Lexington KY folks peel off on I-64, and the rest of us head north to Effingham IL for an overnight stop.  From there, the Chicago folks peel off north on I-57, and those eastbound head out on I-70.  

The road from Salem all the way to I-57 is a nice twisty road, with very little traffic on a Sunday morning.  Great fun to drive.  Hope you'll join us.  PM me with your e-mail address and I'll add you to the caravan e-mail address group

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 hours ago, ingramlee said:

Although the car is running better than it ever has it scares me to drive that far with only about 300 miles

Walter, I broke in the engine in my '73 on the trip to Vintage in 2004; I left Dayton with 70 miles on it (and a new-to-me 5 speed) and drove through the WV, VA and NC mountains to Winston Salem, being careful to vary my revs and not hold a steady speed (old school way to break in a new motor).  I had over 1000 miles by the time I got home.  That was nearly 60k miles ago and it's running just fine...

mike

• Like 1