RenaissanceMan

Question about brake fluid reservior cap...

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

The cap on my 76 has a metal depressible contact on it, that closes the circuit when the float's little metal shaft comes into contact with it. (Hope that makes sense.) I believe it has gone bad, so I'd like to put a new cap on it. Looking at what's available, seems the most recent cap/float setups simply use at attached cap and float construction. Can I safely assume this will be interchangeable?

So after cleaning the contacts on the cap I've determined it's operating properly. The issue is that the little metal shaft on the float has broken off of it, so it's not making connection to the cap. Guess I will look and see if I can find the replacement float... Everywhere I look online says it's NLA or backordered. Anyone have an extra used one? :)

Edited by RenaissanceMan

Bet you can fabricate something to replace the broken metal shaft on the float.  Since the shaft doesn't complete the circuit, but merely pushes two contacts together, I'll bet you could glue a plastic rod--or even another brass one in place.  All it has to do is hold the contacts closed when there's sufficient fluid in the reservoir...

mike

Get a couple of these while you're at it:  51135676199

They will save you a beer can's worth of blood a year if you work on the driver's side of the engine bay a lot

8 minutes ago, halboyles said:

Try this part number, still available:  34322225602

Here's a good source:  https://www.blunttech.com/searches/search

Yup, that's the one I found earlier that is a slightly different design. If I can't fix or replace the original float, I will just get one of those.

6 minutes ago, mike said:

Bet you can fabricate something to replace the broken metal shaft on the float.  Since the shaft doesn't complete the circuit, but merely pushes two contacts together, I'll bet you could glue a plastic rod--or even another brass one in place.  All it has to do is hold the contacts closed when there's sufficient fluid in the reservoir...

mike

I actually tried this before posting. I drilled a tiny hole through the center of the float and pushed the brass pin barely through it. Fit was tight enough to keep it from moving. However, it is only _just_ short enough to not actuate the switch in the cap. I'm going to fabricate something else that will work.

Thanks guys!

3 minutes ago, halboyles said:

Get a couple of these while you're at it:  51135676199

They will save you a beer can's worth of blood a year if you work on the driver's side of the engine bay a lot

Those go behind the starter relay aft of the ignition coil also!

2 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Those go behind the starter relay aft of the ignition coil also!

That is so funny..... You must have been spying on my computer... I threw a couple of those in my shopping cart earlier, remembering that I was missing one from my reservoir!!! However, I didn't realize they go behind the starter relay also. Thanks for the headsup!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Worked for me. it fit my '75 brake reservoir just fine.  At least you can have something working on your car, while you try and fiddle with the OEM replacement. 

46 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Worked for me. it fit my '75 brake reservoir just fine.  At least you can have something working on your car, while you try and fiddle with the OEM replacement. 

Thanks for the confirmation!