• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First 02 (will update as I go)

Joe2002

Too late now, but never buy a car unless you get it inspected or, if you are car savvy, can inspect it yourself.  I have a national trade account with an inspection company because I inspect so many cars all over the country in an effort to find decent ones.  Seriously, last year I had 6 different Mercedes 280SLs inspected that were in the $50k-75k price range.  Not one of them came back as a C or better on an A-F scale.  In other words, they were all 4s or worse..  Sellers represented most of them as 2s.  Images were doctored or in most cases the issues were cleverly omitted from the images or discussion. The ones that sellers said were 3 were the ones my inspector said to run away from fast.  

And that doesn't even count the scam artists that consistently list cars and parts that don't exist.  "Oh, yes I'm a Leutenant in the Ait Force who is transferring out and I have already gotten the car prepped to ship....just send me the money via, you know, totally untracable Western Union, and the shipper will drop it at your door right away!"   Some of these guys even have phony auctions and phony dealer web sites!   All it takes to stop them is to ask for a copy of the title. 

The good news for you is 1) you actually got a car. 2) you found this site.   Here you will get good advice, good instructions, a lot of inspiration and (usually) reasonably priced parts because most of us really want to keep these cars alive at least as much as we might want to make a few bucks selling our old parts.  

Honestly, of all the cars I've owned and all the car support sites I've subscribed to, this one is absolutely the best.  

All that said, getting a title can be a challenge depending on what state you live in.  But if you need parts, be sure to list it in the "want to buy" section before going to eBay or elsewhere.  Many of us still have the dirty-but-working parts replaced as part of our restorations.   

• Like 1

Current: '74 2002,75 2002, 88 E28 M5(2), 92 E34 M5, 02 E39 M5, 01 E39T M5, 08 E93 328i, 08 E61 535i, 09 E93 335i, 09 E91 328ix, 12 E70 3.5i  '67 Alfa Romeo Spider; '69 Alfa Romeo Spider, '08 Dodge 1500 SLT. Past BMWs: '74 2002tii, '74 2002, '76 E12 530i, '78 E12 528i, '85 E28 535is, '93 E34 528iT, '94 E34 528i, '99 E36 328ic (2) '99 E39 528iT, '03 E46 330i convt., '07 E90 328i

17 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

Too late now, but never buy a car unless you get it inspected or, if you are car savvy, can inspect it yourself.  I have a national trade account with an inspection company because I inspect so many cars all over the country in an effort to find decent ones.  Seriously, last year I had 6 different Mercedes 280SLs inspected that were in the $50k-75k price range.  Not one of them came back as a C or better on an A-F scale.  In other words, they were all 4s or worse..  Sellers represented most of them as 2s.  Images were doctored or in most cases the issues were cleverly omitted from the images or discussion. The ones that sellers said were 3 were the ones my inspector said to run away from fast.  

And that doesn't even count the scam artists that consistently list cars and parts that don't exist.  "Oh, yes I'm a Leutenant in the Ait Force who is transferring out and I have already gotten the car prepped to ship....just send me the money via, you know, totally untracable Western Union, and the shipper will drop it at your door right away!"   Some of these guys even have phony auctions and phony dealer web sites!   All it takes to stop them is to ask for a copy of the title. 

The good news for you is 1) you actually got a car. 2) you found this site.   Here you will get good advice, good instructions, a lot of inspiration and (usually) reasonably priced parts because most of us really want to keep these cars alive at least as much as we might want to make a few bucks selling our old parts.  

Honestly, of all the cars I've owned and all the car support sites I've subscribed to, this one is absolutely the best.  

All that said, getting a title can be a challenge depending on what state you live in.  But if you need parts, be sure to list it in the "want to buy" section before going to eBay or elsewhere.  Many of us still have the dirty-but-working parts replaced as part of our restorations.   

I would say im typically car savy lol.  Would they have been honest with me and told me the car came from Michigan I would have expected a lot of rust, I was really hoping it was a southern car.  I don't buy enough cars to have pay an inspection company.  only a few a year.  If I was looking at more expensive cars then it would be a must.  luckily I just buy $1000-2000 rust buckets.  I really wasn't looking for an 02 it just popped up in Georgia for a good price and ive always wanted one.  I have a few other projects im working on at the moment so I was just hoping the 02 was little less of a project lol.   

Im building an ls6 240z from the ground up so thats taking most of my money right now, was hoping I could pull the m42 out of my 318is to put in the 02 sooner rather than later but looks like thats going to be put off for awhile.  

Michigan is pretty easy to get a title in although I think they did just change the laws so I might have to get it bonded first before I can get a title.   

I appreciate the help 

Yikes.... That'll be a handful of rust repair.  The grills are still good, don't mess them up with the wonky hood :)

• Like 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, zinz said:

Yikes.... That'll be a handful of rust repair.  The grills are still good, don't mess them up with the wonky hood :)

Its about time I learn how to replace floors and stuff anyways,  at least I won't be afraid to mess anything up while I learn how to weld on this pile lol.  

Just now, Joe2002 said:

Thank you!  Im sure I will need a lot of panels from here lol

You are not the first! :)

I did most of one floor pan, plus.

W&N is a great resource, and their sheet metal pricing is very attractive.

Pretty Z-car!

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

240Z !!!! heck, they arrived rusting in the US.  Rumor is Datsun loaded them on open ships and the salt spray got them rusting before they hit the west coast.  

Cool car, for sure.. lots of potential fun with their in-line 6 and triple Webers :)

• Thanks 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

5 minutes ago, zinz said:

240Z !!!! heck, they arrived rusting in the US.  Rumor is Datsun loaded them on open ships and the salt spray got them rusting before they hit the west coast.  

Cool car, for sure.. lots of potential fun with their in-line 6 and triple Webers :)

haha Ive heard that rumor as well.  finding a rust free example in the midwest is next to impossible.  Rust free good condition 240z are now up to 20-30k  

I actually have two i'm working on, a 260 and 240.  Didn't intend for it to happen but the 240z shell popped up and then an ls6/t56 popped up for super cheap so I decided to build that from the ground up and i'm about to sell the 260z actually.   

The 260z still has the straight 6 but its out of the 280zx turbo, we are actually about to fire it up for the first time in the next week or so.  I was supposed to this last weekend but my buddy had some family medical issues or something.

I wish I would have went the tripple route, it would have been running a long time ago lol.  

Im going with double Mikuni 44s on my Roadster, Ive never worked on carbs or had a car with carbs so I figured it would be cool to build something and learn.   

I'll take the Z.  Been looking for the right one to restore for over 2 years.   ....But I would ERALLY like to have that E30 wagon on the other side of the fence.   BMW wagons are the most misunderstood cars in the history of BMW, but I love them.   From the drivers's seat foward, they are sedans, but they can haul anything and as a bonus, cops think they are pokey dad-mobiles!  I've owned....4 or 5 BMW wagons including my current E61 535ix.      

• Thanks 1

Current: '74 2002,75 2002, 88 E28 M5(2), 92 E34 M5, 02 E39 M5, 01 E39T M5, 08 E93 328i, 08 E61 535i, 09 E93 335i, 09 E91 328ix, 12 E70 3.5i  '67 Alfa Romeo Spider; '69 Alfa Romeo Spider, '08 Dodge 1500 SLT. Past BMWs: '74 2002tii, '74 2002, '76 E12 530i, '78 E12 528i, '85 E28 535is, '93 E34 528iT, '94 E34 528i, '99 E36 328ic (2) '99 E39 528iT, '03 E46 330i convt., '07 E90 328i

3 hours ago, Joe2002 said:

I started pulling the interior yesterday 

IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

Something tells me that isn't just a sepia filter on those photos...? Seriously though, I admire your can-do attitude regarding this one. It will be a fantastic educational project and when it is done your level of satisfaction will be that much greater for it. Hope you are able to get her looking like new again. 

Edited by RenaissanceMan
  • Thanks 1

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

5 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

I'll take the Z.  Been looking for the right one to restore for over 2 years.   ....But I would ERALLY like to have that E30 wagon on the other side of the fence.   BMW wagons are the most misunderstood cars in the history of BMW, but I love them.   From the drivers's seat foward, they are sedans, but they can haul anything and as a bonus, cops think they are pokey dad-mobiles!  I've owned....4 or 5 BMW wagons including my current E61 535ix.      

I picked the touring up a few months go already titled in the states a couple hours away from my house.  Thats about to get m52 swapped once were done swapping my girlfriends coupe.  

I love it!  I can put the dogs in the back and roll the windows for them, I can throw bags of dirt or tools back there.  

Edit: just realized you were talking about the blue touring in the Z picture lol.  That one is awd 5 speed was hit in the rear my buddy just replaced the rear right section of it 

touring3.jpg

grocery.jpg

Edited by Joe2002
  • Like 1