Dudeland

Cannon Manifold + Haltech 1000 Elite+ Heritage Throttle body DCOE = FUN?

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Ok, so being sick of futzing around with my 32/36 I am thinking injection.   I don't want Megasquirt, just because I don't want to Frankenstein something together for resale value. I want something that looks period and doesn't eliminate the brake booster.  So I am looking at a setup where I use a single DCOE TBI, a Cannon Manifold and a Haltech for controlling it all.   Does anybody have any experience with these?  Any advice?

https://www.racetep.com/m10-ssd-manonly.html

image.png.272ac878b3a43d0d8f9e640093c643aa.png

image.png.1e403adb7d4b7c709083c4487f6afdc2.png

https://foxinjection.com/products/heritage-throttle-body?variant=29403888653

image.png

They are too new.  Haven't seen a single installation posted on the internets.. But I love the idea you have. I say be the first and make it happen. 

No experience, beyond thinking about this same setup for my car.  That is a Lynx manifold, not a Cannon.  The part I can't wrap my head around is how the Haltech (or other engine management system) drives the DCOE.  I am assuming it uses the TPS, but does it require other input like temperature and MAP, IAT and fuel pressure sensors to determine how much fuel to deliver?  I have seen other vendors produce plug and play EFI systems to replace standard carbs, but mostly 4 barrel options.  This Holley version looks very interesting for someone that is looking to convert their downdraft Weber.

Would you use the Haltech to also control spark?  Then you are down the road with coil drivers and and trigger wheels.  Either way you will need to consider fuel delivery and modifications for the pump and feed and return lines, roll-over shutoff , etc.

Sounds like a fun project.

Mark92131

IMG_1290.JPG

So I have a rollover shut-off.  -6 an lines with proper filters fuel relay etc as a result of my electric fuel pump. I would need a different fuel regulator obviously, but it isn't that big a leap. 

The Haltec is flexible.  You can use it to control everything or just the basics.   The essentials of an FI system is a Manifold Air Pressure sensor,  Coolant temp, O2 sensor, and for cold starting an Air intake temp sensor.   The TBI takes care of injection and throttle position. 

You can add ignition, Nitro, turbo anti-lag and a bunch of other things.  My plan is to continue to use the 123 and MSD6a for now, until I get a turbo, then crank trigger ignition control is essential for timing purposes. 

It is funny because I just e-mailed Holley to see if the sniper will work on a 130 Cubic inch motor.  I haven't gotten a response.  I would Rather go with a Sniper injection system than the one I have picked out, as it is more turnkey.  

I just got a note back from Holley.  They say it will work.  I might just go this route.  $1400 Canadian is the same price as the Halltech alone. 

Over 100 HP yes, it will work. Will need a RPM signal for the Ignition system.

Sincerely
Woody

Both of these ideas have been on my mind. If you go the Holley route it is promoted as a direct carburetor replacement with programmable features all in one package. I hope it works. I want EFI at a reasonable cost.  Keep us posted. 

Vince 

It seems like any way you slice it for EFI it will be between $800 and $4K depending on how much work you want to do.  I am not looking to make huge horsepower. Just make it really nice and driveable, no flat spots and pull to redline.  It does leave the door open for a turbo in the future. 

Dudeland,

The jenvey product is really nice.  I've goofed with a TR-6 that had 3 of them, run via MS2.  Looked really cool, and was made well.  I guess the advantage to the holley setup is its a plug and play affair.  I'm zero help to you Haltech, never played with one, but I've done multiple MS setups.  If you go the jenvey route, I'd suggest taking a look at the micro-squirt ecu.  It'll be all you need.  I'd also really think hard about going EDIS.  02again makes a front pulley with a trigger wheel ready to go for just over 200 bucks.  You'll be amazed at how much difference going EDIS makes.  Either way, I can't wait to see which way you go, and how it turns out.  I'll be following shortly..  I've already sourced a manifold from a 320i,, and I'm on the lookout for the other things I think I'll need.  

There's also Retroject, an EFI throttle body that is bolt on for a 38/38 - http://www.webcon.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=15299

Not cheap though.

Not sure why you're deadset against Megasquirt, it's more than capable of handling the basic EFI needs that you're looking for (batch fire + coil trigger with stock distributor).  Haltech or similar EFI units would be overkill

My plan, for right now anyways, is to try adapting an old GM 2-barrel TBI unit to a 2-barrel manifold and controlling it with a MS, either as a fuel-only unit and using 123tune distributor or have it trigger the coil as well for adjustable timing.  This will keep the factory looks but be fully adjustable.  Eventually I'd probably swap to a distributor-less wasted spark setup, something the MS can handle easily.

I could care less about resale value, I'm building the car that I want.

1 hour ago, xr4tic said:

My plan, for right now anyways, is to try adapting an old GM 2-barrel TBI unit to a 2-barrel manifold and controlling it with a MS, either as a fuel-only unit and using 123tune distributor or have it trigger the coil as well for adjustable timing. 

That would work,  My first EFI setup was fuel only and triggered from the distr.

But we all like what we all like.  Some like $1000 wheels, I like my bottle caps, they get me where I am headed.

21 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Will need a RPM signal for the Ignition system.

After watching the Sniper EFI Installation video for the 4 barrel version, they have an option to take RPM signal off the "-" side of the coil, and other connection options for those running MSD boxes.  Looks pretty doable for a 2002.

Mark92131

That Holley system looks great. What would we need to replace a Weber downdraft?  Would it need an adapter for the intake?  A high pressure fuel pump?  

you'd need an adapter for sure and might have to worry about hood clearance if the adapter + TB unit is a lot taller than a weber.

It specifies a 58.5psi fuel pressure requirement (built in FPR), so you'll need a high pressure pump and return line

The height of the Sniper is 3.28 inches and the adapter is 3/8 of an inch. I have to measure a DGV, but I expect it will be close to the same profile.

not sure if a Holley 350 is the same as a 2300, here's an adapter if it is:

https://www.lceperformance.com/Adapter-Holley-350-to-Weber-Manifold-Adapter-Kit-p/1033012.htm

if it bolts up, it looks like it will work, the only potential problem I see is timing control.  The instructions only show timing control hookups using an MSD "mag" distributor and all the threads on the Holley forum asking about Pertronix with timing control are met with a response of "buy a Holley dual sync distributor"

There's also a few threads with getting it to work in a non-timing control manner with a Pertronix and people frying the ECU, so beware.