RenaissanceMan

Strut spacers on top??

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

When I did my Bilstein HD/H&R Sport install last weekend, I pulled the strut spacers out, which were sandwiched between my strut bearings and the undersides of the strut towers. I'm seeing various pics online in which some folks have put these plates on the top side of the strut towers... Is this correct? Are people doing this to try and gain some sort of reinforcement? Sample pic attached:

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 4.26.27 PM.png

You don’t need to do that, the strut tops are designed to work without. Having said that, you will now have long studs sticking up into your bay without the spacer (the strut bearings without the spacer use shorter studs) so some people think it looks better to put the spacer on top to hide some of the thread length (and it certainly won’t harm the strength of the installation). 

1 minute ago, Simeon said:

You don’t need to do that, the strut tops are designed to work without. Having said that, you will now have long studs sticking up into your bay without the spacer (the strut bearings without the spacer use shorter studs) so some people think it looks better to put the spacer on top to hide some of the thread length (and it certainly won’t harm the strength of the installation). 

Ahhhh, ok... That makes sense. Correct, the stud length is now pretty long, but that doesn't bother me too much. Thanks for the clarification!

when it comes time to replace the upper strut mount, buy the mount with the short stud or cut em off and smooth the cut, apply silver paint.

I think the look of a spacer on top is tacky and seems to be a spare parts storage place.

• Like 1

I bought the short stud mounts, when I replaced mine and removed the spacers.

The problem was, those bolts were too short to mount my shiny new strut brace, so I shortened the long studs from my original mounts, only to find that the pressed in portion was a smaller size.

So, I bought new flange bolts, but had to trim the heads, so they wouldn't rub on the spring caps.

Then I sold the strut brace and lived with slightly long bolts.

Recently,  I put the spacers back in, but on top of my H&R springs, bringing it back up closer to stock height.

So... back to the hardware store for longer bolts... and then trimmed their heads.

Fun stuff.

• Like 2

Just now, '76mintgrun'02 said:

I bought the short stud mounts, when I replaced mine and removed the spacers.

The problem was, those bolts were too short to mount my shiny new strut brace, so I shortened the long studs from my original mounts, only to find that the pressed in portion was a smaller size.

So, I bought new flange bolts, but had to trim the heads, so they wouldn't rub on the spring caps.

Then I sold the strut brace and lived with slightly long bolts.

Recently,  I put the spacers back in, but on top of my H&R springs, bringing it back up closer to stock height.

So... back to the hardware store for longer bolts... and then trimmed their heads.

Fun stuff.

LOL, talk about chasing your tail! :D

the learning curve can be a bit... crooked around here.

Strut brace!!

I don't need no stinking strut brace.

It got in the way of my stock air cleaner UPgrade.

Lowering springs!!

I'd like to be a little higher again, please.

I feel like I have finally caught my tail.

021.thumb.JPG.49339318cfeff01ee6869a5abb40589b.JPG

030.thumb.JPG.9fa728d3edfc95987d95e9810215ce06.JPG

• Like 1