• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The things you find in the woods

penth2o

Years ago I was driving down the road and spotted the roofline of an 02 across a field and at the woodline.  My heart started beating. Could it be a Tii?  talked to the guy at the house and he said many moons ago his buddy went into the military and asked if he could keep it in his garage while he went overseas.  Guy never came back.

After 7 more years he threw it out in the field at the woodline.

told me to take it.

I spent a few days stripping glass and parts with the tools I had in my car but, I really need to go back an get the whole thing and haul it back to my house and totally strip it for spare parts. This was in 07 or 09. I keep looking at it to make sure it's there when I drive by.

Guess no one is going to get it the way it sits unless they have a chainsaw in their back pocket.

Been there before the trees were even in the field the guy told me.  No Tii. Diving board Automatic.

100_7091.JPG

100_7089.JPG

trees4.JPG

100_7093.JPG

100_7095.JPG

100_7096.JPG

100_7098.JPG

100_7099.JPG

100_7104.JPG

100_7105.JPG

100_7106.JPG

100_7107.JPG

100_7108.JPG

100_9180.JPG

100_9182.JPG

100_9185.JPG

100_9186.JPG

100_9187.JPG

100_9192.JPG

100_9193.JPG

100_9195.JPG

100_9196.JPG

Edited by penth2o
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, catlincustoms said:

Free it of its prison! 

That would be really hard to get out haha. Sunken in and entirely surrounded by trees.

I'll go winch it up on a flatbed when the snow melts.  Been meaning to since i found it in 07. Really need to save the parts. Be a shame for him to decide to clean his back forty one day n scrap it.

• Like 2

Years ago I found a Euro 1600 in the woods behind a house near Macon GA, following a lead from another '02 owner, who introduced me to the 1600 owner.  Not much left on it worth saving, but in the back seat was something I had pursued for 25+ years, a heated rear window in clear glass.  They were listed in the 1969 catalog when I bought my car, but were "unavailable"--and exceedingly rare on US cars until tinted glass started to become available in 1971.  

Funny thing was I was able to carry the backlight home in the trunk of my '73...it fit just fine, padded with towels and sitting atop my luggage.  

Also found a 2002 in a field here in Dayton--pretty much gone but I did get the VIN plate--1660900 so a very early '68.  Wish it had been intact or had some of those early goodies that are so difficult to find.  It didn't.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite