rapandi

Clutch plate size for my 2002tii

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi Team,

I need to purchase a new clutch kit for my 1972 RHD  2002tii. The factory manual says I need a 228mm clutch kit. However it just occurred to me this morning that the PO put a Getrag 245/10 5 speed CR gearbox on the car. This is not factory. Does this in anyway change the size of the clutch I need?

Regards

Raj

IIRC, all tii's had a 228mm clutch.  If your tranny is out, look at the number stamped into the pressure plate. Most likely is a 228.

i kept the 228 flywheel in my 73 when changing to the 5 speed OD tranny.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jgerock said:

IIRC, all tii's had a 228mm clutch.  

Yep, they all did....and it's highly unlikely that the person who installed that 5 speed switched to a 215mm setup, as that would involve changing the flywheel for no good reason.

mike

+1 for the 228mm 

Thanks team. I just need to make sure I get the correct throw out bearing for my car with the clutch kit 

Thanks, Raj, for initiating this discussion.

I, too, am replacing my 228-mm disk, plate, and bearing in my '74 tii and found the following "kits":

• Rogerstii:  $312 (Sachs; includes pilot bearing [PB] and alignment tool [AT])
  • Blunt:  $305 (Sachs; includes PB and AT)
  • WN:  $291 (brand? no PB or AT; requires a core and return shipping)

Comments re: these and/or other sources/brands?

Thanks,

Larry

Edited by 2002#2
Forgot to thank initiator of discussion.

7 hours ago, rapandi said:

Thanks team. I just need to make sure I get the correct throw out bearing for my car with the clutch kit 

None of the kits will likely have the correct bearing for a 5-speed, the 228mm clutch will require a bearing from a e21 323i (part # 21511204525).  I found it is cheaper to buy the kit though and either sell or just don't use the bearing that comes with it (the bearing is for a 4 speed and BMW never offered a 5 speed OD so Sachs doesn't offer the kit with the 5 speed bearing).

3 hours ago, FunkyLaneO said:

None of the kits will likely have the correct bearing for a 5-speed, the 228mm clutch will require a bearing from a e21 323i (part # 21511204525).  I found it is cheaper to buy the kit though and either sell or just don't use the bearing that comes with it (the bearing is for a 4 speed and BMW never offered a 5 speed OD so Sachs doesn't offer the kit with the 5 speed bearing).

So did you source the throw out bearing for the 5 speed separately? 

In the aforementioned post re: the three clutch kits, I failed to mention I have an original '74 tii 4-speed transmission (will verify when transmission is removed).  My bad.  I will add a fourth kit (thanks for the suggestion, deanres):

• Ireland Engineering:  $350 (brand?; includes PB and AT)

Now, may I assume any of these four kits will suffice?

Thanks for the responses.

1 hour ago, rapandi said:

So did you source the throw out bearing for the 5 speed separately? 

Yup, purchased separately. Mine is 215mm so it actually uses a different TO bearing than you, one from an E21 320i.