11 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've read a good bit here about engine swaps in the 2002. I have a '76 in the shop that I need to install a '95 M44 and its trans in this car. Most of the articles are older and don't include much information on the engine mounting, or placement what photos I see don't show a lot. It looks to me like a good deal of cross member, firewall and transmission tunnel modifications need to be done. Does anyone here have information that would help us?    

I'm not sure what they would be, but this it the engine we have to put in the 2002. I do know the oil pan and steering linkage is one of the biggest problems I see now. cutting the body up to fit it in isn't a problem for us. just need info on mounting the engine in.

Discussed here before. 

Jakeb here does M42 swaps and will even Turbo them. M44s don’t take well to mods because of OBD II and the internals are not as robust. 

classicdaily.net

is Jakes site.  He sells mounts and things. Maybe reach out to him and he can guide you through the process. 

If you're forced (pun) to swap in the M44 vs M42, make sure you change out the cooling system, especially those two pesky plastic cooling pipes. The one at the back of the head is a bitch to get to in an e36, probably easier to get to in the 02s engine bay. 

Nice looking '68. Good color!!

Hey Thanks for the reply and information, I only have the engine for a short while and it off the the BMW shop to be rebuilt, so Thats why I need information quick, so I can get the engine mounts fabricated and fitted. I do have a M42 here left from an older project we did, maybe it would be better to use for this build.

Thanks Bimrun2002!! I sent him a message hopefully he'll see it.

I seen a good way to mount the engine today that will be very strong and give it the correct tilt. I would like to know its not going to cause any problems with the starter, steering, and exhaust. If it work out I will post pictures here so others will see how its done.

I did a lot of research when we were deciding to do mine. This is why is went with the M42. Starts out that they have forged internals, thats definetly better. They also have a better valvetrain design. the m44 went back to the rocker arm style and they are weak with no real upgrade possibilities.

I can't remember all the details but to get a quick answer, just send in the M42 and you can't go wrong. It's been done a bunch of times and you have a ton of resources to help with the build and fitment. Otherwise, you just reinventing the wheel. There are a few places that are producing motor mounts etc for the M42. I hope that helps. All this is just my opinion. Somebody my send me to the firing squad over my comments.  Here is a little eye candy of my freshly milled head. Best of luck on your project. 

28584786_1558282004292876_339566552_o.thumb.jpg.f98312c663fb24cc02196abd0dc5e9ea.jpg

'95 M44

rare beast, that- most '95's are M42.

Here's the big rub against the M44- the intake manifold.  The M42 E30 manifold's

the old 'macaroni runner' style, and pretty compact.  The M44 never got that

style, only the much bigger E36 manifold.

It's not impossible that the M42 manifold can be adapted, but at that point, JR's point

about OBD2 comes in.  Not an issue if you're planning on custom fuel delivery.

The OBD2 is a big step over the old MAF on the M42, but it's the first of the first,

and as such, suffers from the usual OBD hypersensitivities...

The M44's little rockers are actually pretty clever- they are far lighter than the

big lash adjusters in the M42, and they have rollers on them.

I used to poo- poo them as regressive, but they're not. 

The cast crank, on the other hand, is cost cutting, simply put.

There are lots of posts for the M42, if you choose to go that route,

and Jake is known here and R3vlimited for his turbo kits.

I'd go M54.

t