Rastadog

External voltage reg. plug

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi, I was going to clean the grounds at the external voltage reg. The harness plug is stuck in the VR. Is there a trick? Have the regulator and plug just become overly attached to one another during the past 20 years? Thanks Alex

If you're unable to save the plug, and the plug is not available from BMW (I seem to recall these were on backorder) you might try classic VW websites for a new one. I just replaced a couple of these on some old VW busses at work. The special "locking" connectors* inside can be a tad tough to get. (BMW discontinued them) but they're available from specialty auto electric places.

*The connectors have tiny spines / tabs on them that lock them in to the plastic plug. 

Is there a way to unlock them? Car, “ Ran When Parked”. Just reawakening after a long rest. It wasn’t broken when parked, except the typical wonky temperature gauge. It may be best to leave it alone unless I can unlocked that plug or the voltage regulator dies. It’s cold in the garage, maybe being warm from some electrons running through the wires would help. Thanks Alex