gastephens

Bolt hole for right side motor mount bracket

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

The bracket for the right side motor mount attaches to the block with two bolts in the rear and one in the front. It appears that the hole into the block for the front bolt is not drilled / tapped. The car used to have a York a/c compressor bracket mounted there so it was covered up. It does not appear to be a sheared off bolt but it is possible.

Any thoughts or ideas?

rtmotormount.png

rtmotormount2.png

Occam’s razor says: it’s a sheared bolt. 

Yikes. That boss should accommodate the front bolt to the motor mount..drill and extract said sheared bolt. Easier said than done.. sorry. 

If it's a 2002 block it must be a sheared bolt all the motor mounts for the 02 used that bolt hole if it's a later m10 it may have not been used but ether way you have some drilling in your future.

While it doesn't look like it, you are probably right. Tomorrow I will remove the bracket from the engine and see what I've got. It's a tight fit in there to extract a broken bolt. Thanks for the input.

Hold on, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at.  The right motor mount has three bolts in it.  2 at the rear and one at the front.  The very front hole on my '75 was used for the A/C compressor mount. left side only uses 2.   Here are images of both sides of my motor showing the mount holes, just pulled yesterday and hapily sitting on a stand.  

SCH_5951s.thumb.jpg.ba6d406988bc214dea00a279efbd6a5a.jpgSCH_5952s.thumb.jpg.991adc48034f34d5b9623724c69517f2.jpg

Go buy an easy-out bolt extractor.  They work pretty well but I don't envy you having to do it with the engine in the car.  

Hope this helps!

Scott  

Edited by Hodgepodge

Thanks for everyone's help.Yes, Occam is a sharp dude. (razor sharp you might say)

After removing the motor mount and bracket, A/C bracket, and bungeeing the A/C compressor out of the way as far as possible I got enough access to get it out.

Using a right angle drill attachment and reverse thread bits, and lots of Rost-Off and Brakleen, I extracted the sheared bolt!

qOJZ0TBeXImhiRmWQbBuSE-s50j6XrdFi_d3jl-Tcz87TXi6l8HosDHK2zzPGQuyHX1-LoClFkC4Z-IKZ-0dzV2LYjCvQCT5PF5fSoWKdBE7WtRaIqA-NuZEKPoCJd2yRYLiScycRBcop7RY3FFIJS7tkFyJ97CCUqb1zIC3wdFQ9PjDOAMzf53G4xyONkgzylqrCrDmH3scLaI38ts-g74kU7fPbJUIQmbukYehk7VU6lcoLldB484nukMLcdn_HpfwFQ8SeFqkkVeFj8G2ZNpGLySiMPsNYbqLtaKAkVWECXdBwDM_TRbZVaKoxQGTj9weVvjH0eeO_jC2Fn16WrNKLb1D16V1SuYeljHd3suZfZ1ykWaa627TjpzAcvT2Xj98iv9uvnrJj85XElfSBLWmxSkthscVS9p9f5zYjKPn_nYmyQCdi4yOnFBh35ddsmPQCHf0QeKhlE8mt53pbwlkNm9WSdawK34kCIQJCVYgGr1Ra-itwFF6i4_8RW9FwxW1ZkI6kBRjDIVhkSM1Xu_KtOjF-fyF90RvFgwE8kF0yiEl8NHivG3rSwm6XVNd6lvc99bz7wAc6mXprxtd6tdhHc7-xKnigL4N6WkU=w1732-h1299-no

• Like 4