Hodgepodge

Is this normal?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Yesterday, as I was pulling the transmission and engine, I experienced something kind of alarming while disconnecting the guibo.  

Car was on jackstands all around.  Emergency brake is shot so I put it in 1st or 2nd gear to provide leverage loosening the guibo bolts.  Sparkplugs are still installed.  Intake and exhaust manifolds are removed from the engine.  Bellhousing bolts and clutch slave still connected.  

The driveshaft turned!  I was trying to loosen the guibo bolts. Didn't take a tremendous amount of effort but it certainly wasn't free like it was in nuetral.  I did not notice the typical compression related "turnover" resistance, but I was under the car without a lot of room.  Thinking maybe I didn't have the loose shifter in gear, I tried to put the wonky transmission into 4th and tried again.  Turned again with about the same amount of resistance. 

After I got the engine out, I examined the clutch and pressure plate.  The clutch isn't new but it isn't worn down to the rivets either.  I didn't see anything too unusual there.  

I last drove this car in October and there was nothing unusual about the way it ran.  I got an occasional mild backfire because the vacuum lines to the distributor were shot.  

I've got the engine out now and am in the process of putting it on a stand so I can open it up.  I also still need to check compression, which of course should tell me a lot.  

I've always been under the impression that a 2 liter engine is pretty much impossible to turn by hand with the plugs in...especially with a regular wratchet wrench with torque applied to the drive shaft with the car in gear.  But I don't know if that would be the case tith the manifolds off.  I am also thinking that if the car was properly in gear, I would experiance those compression resistance bumps, but I did not.  

Am I missing something stupid here?   I know this is either clutch or compression but I thought I'd toss it out to get your ideas.  .   

Thanks,

Scott

That's normal.

1st provides the most resistance, obviously,

but even the tightest engine leaks a bit.

You're putting constant torque against a device that

really is just a pump.

Sometimes even a good parking brake can't hold it

if a diff flange bolt is really tight.

no panic,

t

Jimk, I've got engine and tranny out but thought the torque thing was odd enough to ask about.  

Edited by Hodgepodge

A M10 can be turned over with the fan blades.

2 hours ago, jimk said:

A M10 can be turned over with the fan blades.

But they'd have to be blowing pretty hard.

😁

• Like 2

A stiff breeze, perhaps, Ray?

t