Hodgepodge

Quiz of the day....

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey,  Got two things I'm curious about.  Youguys like quizes, right? 

First is this thing I found wedged under a motor mount.    It is about an inch across.  Any idea what it is?  

SCH_5913-14.thumb.jpg.3e16c46d998deeafca40b2c8a309d666.jpg

Second...since we're talking about oil leaks today...

When I pulled the exhaust manifold, all of the nuts came off except the top nut on the number 4 cylinder.  Instead, the stud backed out.  I am replacing all the studs, so I didn't thilnk anything of it....until today when I noticed oil leaking from the empty stud hole. In this image the stud hole is a little out of focus, but you can still see a little oil weeping out of it. If I recall correctly, these studs go through into the valve area, so since the engine was tilted and the front end was up high, it is logical to assume that some oil spilled out through the stud hole, correct?      

SCH_5915s.thumb.jpg.aa6048d7dc5e734f70bc9185fded233e.jpg

I have since put the stud back in and cleaned up a little.   I'll put a dab of loctite on the studs I put back in so they don't thread in too far or bottom out at the thread shoulders.

Thanks for your response and have a great weekend! 

Accelerator pump diaphragm probably from a downdraft Weber, as stated above.

Pump diaphragm looks like it’s from a Solex.

42 minutes ago, Tdh said:

Pump diaphragm looks like it’s from a Solex.

Aaaa....I would say Solex as well, but you know what they say about those pump diaphragms:  they all look the same....  😋

Best regards,

Steve

Although I obviously don't recognize the part, I'm going to guess Solex.  Given the interesting things that the PO did with this car, he probably took it apart, got in too deep and then just had the current Weber installed.

Thanks!