Tdh

Need the groups opinion on source of oil leak

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Head gasket between upper and lower timing covers?

IMG_20180303_202330.jpg

IMG_20180303_203517.jpg

It is not common for oil to leak out of a head gasket.  You would also have a lot more issues if the head gasket was blown.   I'm going to suggest that it is your timing chain cover gasket and the oil is traveling back along the head gasket seam until it finally drips down where you see it.    From what I understand, if the head is pulled and the head/block are decked but the timing chain cover is not, there is enough of a gap to cause a leak.   Did you have engine work done recently?   

Hodgepodge, thanks for the response.  When I reference the the head gasket, I’m referring to the part of it that extends past where the block and head mate, and seals between the upper and lower timing covers.  I’m assuming it’s leaking there, and as you mention running back awhere you see it in the photos. I’m curious if others agree or see something I don’t.  

Edited by Tdh

from the pictures, it's kind of grungy in there, probably a good idea to do a good cleaning and then it would be easier to trace a leak.  I would clean up to the valve cover just to rule out a valve cover gasket leak

Yes, front timing cover is a culprit. Especially the corner where the head/cover/block meet. I would usually use a anerobic sealant in that corner with new cover gasket. Also usually the front cover gasket will sit proud at the top, have to trim it back so VC is flush. Sometimes I’d put a dab of sealant at the transition. 

JohnsBoyd and  yeewiz,

thanks for the responses.  I’d did more inspection after I posted. The other side of the motor is oily as well.  Looks like it’s coming from the front around the area where the upper and lower covers meet.  It’s too grimy to tell exactly where.  

Is it easier to just pull the motor, or can I get the covers off with the motor in place?  Seems like if the car was on a lift, I could work at things from above and below to make it easier if I go the moto in place route.  

4 hours ago, Tdh said:

Looks like it’s coming from the front around the area where the upper and lower covers meet.  It’s too grimy to tell exactly where.

This is why you should clean it off and then watch to see where the oil is coming from.

How much is it leaking?   (I would not be pulling the engine for something I could wipe off with a rag once a month).

Did you try putting a 10mm wrench on the little cover bolts?  Don't over torque them, but just check to see that they are appropriately snug.

The upper timing chain cover is easy to take off, with the engine in place.  Perhaps you  could remove it and reseal that lower back corner with some appropriate goo?

I second the cleaning off idea.  I currently have a small leak on my intake side.  Not enough that I have to add any oil, but after looking closer, it seems some of it might be from my oil cap and the way it runs down some of the seams, it makes it seem like it is from elsewhere.