Hodgepodge

Gearshift disconnect woes....

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Quick one.  I'm prepping to pull the engine and transmission and am stuck on the gearshift lever disconnect.  The Haynes manual mentions a hex key gearshift release pin but I've got nuthin like that.   I keep thinking there should be a circlip someplace but I can't see one anywhere.  

Here's my set up.  

Any ideas how to disconnect the shifter without taking the whole thing apart?  

SCH_5883s.thumb.jpg.20bd9183374ca98800246329c92b1fc3.jpg

You have the late gear shift arrangement. The hex is for the early.  Look at the collar where thee rod joins to the gear shift rod on the box. There should be a spring steel cover over it which should snap off. Underneath you will find a tapered pin through the collar which should tap out / fall out / be driven out depending upon its condition. This will separate the shift rod from the box. Undo the two hex head bolts at the top and the entire shift platform should pull away. 

Simeon,

Thanks a BAZILLION for the quick response and the correct info.  That giant sleeve was so covered with crud that I could not see it.  Wasn't hard to get off once I did.  The pin would not drop out, so I tried tapping it up.   Sadly the mud guard or whatever that is on the top of the shift platform prevented it from coming out in that direction.  I then tried using a hook shaped awl to force it out from the top.  No luck   I ended up removing the remaining two bolts from the shift platform and manuevering it as far out of the way as I could before driving the pin up again.  Yay!  It all came loose.   Two housing bolts and the slave linkage to go and the transmission should be out.  Hopefully, I took enough pictures to do a little how to.  We'll see.   I think maybe I'll drill a small hole in the top of that guard right about where the pin is so I can drive the pin out next time if there is a next time. 

Thanks!

Scott

Success!   Transmission is out!  (Grime everywhere!) 

SCH_5887s.thumb.jpg.cc2411cb1269b042e327c8fbde08ae6a.jpg

And so is the engine! 

SCH_5894s.thumb.jpg.d8b82bf5da9aaa44cfba8ebc12fcb001.jpg

But the mess is still there....still a lot ot do!  

SCH_5904s.thumb.jpg.4c36dc77628379747550560110ce9955.jpg

Good! Pull the steering box and re-seal it also.

And then the heater box.

And then....

:D

40 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Good! Pull the steering box and re-seal it also.

And then the heater box.

And then....

In the military, that's called "Mission Creep."  Pretty soon you're doing a bumper to bumper restoration!

mike

I'm already doing a bumper-to-bumper restoration!    ...and yes, there is a little play in the steering box so it is coming out.  :-)