Healey3000

Too good to be true??

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

This one showed up today on the SF Bay Area Craigslist.  I spoke with the seller - he is selling it for a friend who passed away.  It is a tii with a turbo added.  The KF has been modified to handle the added fuel requirements.  He says that there is some rust at the rear windshield but as a CA car, it has no other rust issues.

Interior has been redone in new vinyl.  Price seems absurdly low, if it really is as advertised.  Someone please grab it!!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1974-bmw-2002-tii-clean-title/6517172425.html

Looks like the front clip and doors have been repainted, but not the roof, rear quarters and trunk.  Accident, perhaps?  Agreed--a low price if it's intact and running--and they didn't turbo it without lowering the CR...

mike

I'm not yet certain the seller knows what a turbo looks like ;-)

I texted him asking for engine pics and the VIN -- he responded that I should call at 6PM....

1 minute ago, ray_ said:

I texted him asking for engine pics and the VIN -- he responded that I should call at 6PM....

So Ray is first in line!!

Will you fly out and drive it back?

You're closer. What's your rate?

;-)

Ray called four minutes before me :( I guess I’m second in line. 

4 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Ray called four minutes before me :( I guess I’m second in line. 

I'm not buying. I abstain my position to you! ;-)

*yes abstain is not the correct word. :D

Okeydokey!

Personally I don't like the tone of the response I received. But hey, that's Craigslist :)

Good luck and report back. Get some motor pics!

Cheers,

He didn’t want to sell it to me. After telling me it’s mechanically perfect and runs flawlessly I said I’d be bringing it to Alaska and he wasn’t comfortable selling to anyone who wasn’t local in case something broke. He feels that only the local shop who built it could fix it, unless the new owner was “some sort of bmw genius”. 

Oh well, the search continues. 

I'm... speechless. 

I think.

:unsure:

17 minutes ago, Mike G said:

He didn’t want to sell it to me. After telling me it’s mechanically perfect and runs flawlessly I said I’d be bringing it to Alaska and he wasn’t comfortable selling to anyone who wasn’t local in case something broke. He feels that only the local shop who built it could fix it, unless the new owner was “some sort of bmw genius”. 

Oh well, the search continues. 

Wow!  I'm almost tempted to go see it tomorrow.  Just to take pictures of this thing that needs a BMW genius to fix it.

Doesn't he know that FAQ members are exactly that? :-)

5 minutes ago, Healey3000 said:

Wow!  I'm almost tempted to go see it tomorrow.  Just to take pictures of this thing that needs a BMW genius to fix it.

Doesn't he know that FAQ members are exactly that? :-)

It doesn’t sound too technical to me, just a turbo and extra set of injectors. That’s how I’ve built my turbo snowmobiles too since replacing stock injectors with oversized ones can make it difficult to tune idle and off boost drive ability. But I’m no bmw genius. 

If you do go bring your patience, rays intial impression of the seller seems accurate.