IWantOne

Insuring a 2002 as a 20 year old . . . help!

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello everyone!  It's been awhile since I've ventured from the For Sale pages and into the discussion, so I'll introduce myself and my predicament. 

I've finally reached the point where my '76 Fjord is street legal and reliable enough to serve as my second car to venture to shops, shows, other areas of light usage, et cetera.  Problem is, I've had a hell of a time getting it insured.  I'm twenty with just over four years of 'legal' driving experience, a daily driver, a locked and isolated garage to store the car in, and a clean driving record.  The car's value is greater than most company's minimums.  No accidents in recent memory to report within the rest of the household.  In the interest of cost savings, I've been trying to get the car insured with me listed as the 'secondary' driver, with my father as the 'primary.'  Besides cost savings, I figured it'd be easier to get the car insured under a name with 20+ years of driving experience as opposed to my paltry four.  Nonetheless, both Hagerty and American Collectors Insurance have denied my applications under the guise that all drivers of the car must have five or more years of experience.  Really sucks to be honest considering how much work I've put into the car getting it street legal and reliable only to have something like this keep the car off the road.  The longer it's off the road, the more I tend to loose interest . . .

Anyways, does anyone have any advice as to what steps I should take in getting the car registered? Am I SOL until I reach that five-year point?  Which companies have you had the best luck with?

Cheers,

Emmanuel H. 

Edited by IWantOne

Not sure if things work same in your are but maybe contact an independent insurance agent/broker not tied to any company. They can search many offerings based on your details including high risk pools

Insurance is all based on risk and you might have to pay a bit more for a year but its only a year. Let the agent do the footwork

Try USAA. Forget collector car coverage.

41 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Try USAA. Forget collector car coverage.

You have to have a military connection to be insured by USAA.  They were using American Collector for the agreed value classic car plans.

@IWantOne - talk to your current company to see what they can do re: adding the car to your policy.  You might have to wait until you're 21 to have it in your name.  The approach to have your Dad as primary seems a good one.  Did you check with Heacock Classic Car Collector Insurance (I believe they underwrite for Hagerty, or did), Grundy or JC Taylor?

Edited by John_in_VA

You have to have a military connection to be insured by USAA.  They were using American Collector for the agreed value classic car plans.
@IWantOne - talk to your current company to see what they can do re: adding the car to your policy.  You might have to wait until you're 21 to have it in your name.  The approach to have your Dad as primary seems a good one.  Did you check with Heacock Classic Car Collector Insurance (I believe they underwrite for Hagerty, or did), Grundy or JC Taylor?
Thanks for the tip. Our current insurer is through USAA, should've mentioned that. I haven't had the chance to get a quote from them because their online quote system for only to 1980 cars I believe. I suppose I'll give them a call at some point. Was generally avoiding them because insurance for my daily is rather expensive!

Value is around $4-5000 for those wondering.

15 hours ago, IWantOne said:

Our current insurer is through USAA, should've mentioned that. I haven't had the chance to get a quote from them because their online quote system for only to 1980 cars I believe.

I've been insuring my cars with USAA since 1967 (!) including my daily drivers--all over 25 years old (the cars, not me!)  I have 'em insured as regular drivers (only one at a time for liability and collision) and have no problem with them insuring the cars.  A caveat--there are some companies that won't write comprehensive coverage for cars (regular coverage,not collector) more than ten years old, so be sure and ask. Comprehensive is cheap on older cars--mine is less than $30/yr for non-deductible; you can't buy a side reflector for that any more!

mike

Edited by mike

Yeah, I would not worry about insuring the car per se.  You just want liability coverage in case you cause an accident.  But don't skimp on PIP or UIM coverage.  That covers you in case some hurts you and they don't have insurance.  

6 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

Those were the old days. No more.

I've been using them since 1972. No always the cheapest, but always the best. Insure it regularly, not as a collector car.

When I bought my 02 at 15 I registered under my dad's name and had it on his insurance plan. Much cheaper that way. Liberty Mutual BTW - a regular plan would work fine for you. 

Edited by FunElan

I'm 24, just sorted out my insurance on the new '02. I went with Hagerty, but had to jump through some hoops to get it sorted. I've heard a lot of iffy reviews on their roadside and claims handling, but the price worked out and they were willing to insure the car at a good rate. I'd give them a call and see what they can do.

The biggest issue might be being under your parents insurance, Hagerty stressed that you have to have an existing policy in your name. I use Progressive for my daily driver, that was good enough for them. 

1 hour ago, benzintinte said:

I'm 24, just sorted out my insurance on the new '02. I went with Hagerty, but had to jump through some hoops to get it sorted. I've heard a lot of iffy reviews on their roadside and claims handling, but the price worked out and they were willing to insure the car at a good rate. I'd give them a call and see what they can do.

The biggest issue might be being under your parents insurance, Hagerty stressed that you have to have an existing policy in your name. I use Progressive for my daily driver, that was good enough for them. 

First congratulations on your,” new 02”.

The Hagerty adjuster just left my house. My claim was a bit quirky. Due to my own embarrassment we’ll skip the details, blush, blush. They took my claim Wednesday. Called me back Thursday for more information emailing me that afternoon confirming my claim. Friday another email with the adjusters name with the promise to hear from the adjuster within 24 hours. I did. Now it’s the following Tuesday and the adjuster has already been here. Hagerty also provided me with a list of shops they have successfully dealt with in the past I think that’s really good service.

I haven’t needed roadside service so I can’t speak to that. My understanding is roadside is optional. Opt out if you’re worried.

Hagerty has insured my tii for 17 years. Every time I’ve called or needed some policy changes their reps have been nothing short of excellent. I feel fortunate to have them for classic car coverage. My suggestion is to keep an open mind. Here’s hoping you won’t need their claim or roadside service. Have fun with your new car! Alex

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rastadog said:

First congratulations on your,” new 02”.

The Hagerty adjuster just left my house. My claim was a bit quirky. Due to my own embarrassment we’ll skip the details, blush, blush. They took my claim Wednesday. Called me back Thursday for more information emailing me that afternoon confirming my claim. Friday another email with the adjusters name with the promise to hear from the adjuster within 24 hours. I did. Now it’s the following Tuesday and the adjuster has already been here. Hagerty also provided me with a list of shops they have successfully dealt with in the past I think that’s really good service.

I haven’t needed roadside service so I can’t speak to that. My understanding is roadside is optional. Opt out if you’re worried.

Hagerty has insured my tii for 17 years. Every time I’ve called or needed some policy changes their reps have been nothing short of excellent. I feel fortunate to have them for classic car coverage. My suggestion is to keep an open mind. Here’s hoping you won’t need their claim or roadside service. Have fun with your new car! Alex

That's encouraging to hear! Ultimately the iffy reviews didn't deter me from them obviously, but since I have very limited experience with the company so far I figured I'd share what I learned in research. I'm hoping I never have to contact them for anything though haha. Thanks!