josh72ooh2

LED tail light conversion - tidy up the wiring?

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

I did a LED tail light conversion over the weekend but I didn't realize the wiring harness that comes with the lights is a tad messy.   For those that did the conversion, what did you do to tidy up this wiring?

IMG_7940.JPG

Have you heard of tesa auto wiring insulation tape? Cheap, oem grade, effective and clean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Driv3r said:

Have you heard of tesa auto wiring insulation tape? Cheap, oem grade, effective and clean.

Yea, i have some of that but I don't want the wires to get all gummy/sticky.  I was thinking more of something like a housing similar to the plastic triangle cover that goes on the back of the taillight. That way the wires and that connector board aren't dangling around back there. 

If I am going to wrap the wires, I'd prefer one of those braided sleeves.

Yea, i have some of that but I don't want the wires to get all gummy/sticky.  I was thinking more of something like a housing similar to the plastic triangle cover that goes on the back of the taillight. That way the wires and that connector board aren't dangling around back there. 
If I am going to wrap the wires, I'd prefer one of those braided sleeves.

Even so, you'd still wanna wrap the wires with tesa cloth tape (it's not sticky). I used black flexible auto electrical pipe, then routed the pipe, under the light housing and alongside the body.

5 minutes ago, 1dollar93 said:

You may be interested in these:  http://www.kooglewerks.com/new-products-1/bmw-2002-led-tail-lamp-covers-roundie - simple design with some impact protection. I'm pleased with my set.

Why is that everything I love costs more then I want to spend!!  These look fantastic but after dropping the doe on the LED tail lights, I gotta show some restraint in my wallet.  

Wow for $90 I'll fly to US and run your cable for you!

i guess i'm confused why your harness is any more 'messy' than stock?

did you do the 'thousand-points of light' conversion from Blunt?  or just replace the bayonets from tungsten to diode?

not trying to be confrontational ... just trying to get the full picture for my own edification

i did a 100% LED conversion with just bayonets (from reverse lights to dim-able cluster) and everything was plug and play into original sockets

the triangle covers are all i need

okay ... not quite fully 'plug-and-play' ... but in the roundie-tail-light ... all i needed was the cover

10 hours ago, Geoff Raynak said:

i did a 100% LED conversion with just bayonets (from reverse lights to dim-able cluster)

Geoff, where did you find "plug 'n play" dimmable dash lights for your instrument cluster?  Most that I've seen on line aren't dimmable, and I'd love to have brighter instrument lights--and also brighter lights for my aftermarket VDO gauges.

mike

well ...

i'm working on my notes now ...

here is what i found:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078VD399J

they are actually encased in urethane ...

and they have a really nice glow to them

and yes ... they dim with my 1969 dimmer

they fit great on the 'left' side of the cluster ... but 

the issue is that they are 'too tall' for the tach

i just bought some 5/16 (?) brass tubing yesterday to try and swage an adapter to allow the tach lights to sit out a bit ...

there should be room behind the cluster for the added 1/2" or so they need to stick out

more to come!!!

11 hours ago, Geoff Raynak said:

i guess i'm confused why your harness is any more 'messy' than stock?

did you do the 'thousand-points of light' conversion from Blunt? 

Yes, these are the Blunt LED boards that fit into the roundie housings.  They look great!  But The wiring could have been a bit neater for the conversion. I'll figure it out eventually. 

nice!

those are cool little boards ...

i decided to take a 'half-step' and just install the bayonet styles ...

anyway ... cool that there are nice covers for all the bits ...

great work!

I was gonna say to add this to the 3d printing thread- it's an ideal candidate.

t