Slavs

Electrical - Short

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've seen a lot of odd things related to 02s, as I have owned and driven them since 1983. And, today is no exception.

I was working on my single barrel Solex today, and after I was done I started my car. But I noticed that my alternator belt was a little

on the loose side. So, I shut off the engine, removed the negative clamp from the battery and tightened the alternator belt by slightly loosening the 

bolt from the alternator bracket and slightly raising the alternator to take out some slack from the alternator belt. I then re-tightened the alt bracket bolt and placed the negative battery clamp to the negative terminal. Then I tried to start the car. The instrument ignition lights are bright, but the  engine does not turn when the key is moved to the start position. There is just a "click". sometimes followed by a small turn to the engine, like the battery is really weak. But what is more worrying is smoke coming from the firewall area. The throttle spring mounted to the firewall gets really hot. There is a ground wire mounted to the throttle linkage bracket mounted to the firewall. I disconnected the alternator to eliminate it as the possible root of the problem, but the symptom continues. What the Hell ? 25 years ago I had a similar problem when my tach wire frayed at the firewall and shorted out the electrical system. But, in that case I had no ignition lights or signs of any electrical life. This is weird. Has anybody had a similar problem ? 

Edited by Slavs

There is an electrical harness that contains the alternator activator conductor, and the starter motor conductor to the ignition switch.  You might have moved the alternator enough to disconnect the starter conductor so that it is grounding to the block.  

I have not had that problem, but I have read that the throttle linkage becomes the engine's ground, if the ground strap is not making a good connection.

Do you have the two legged stock strap, with the big one going to the engine block and the smaller one to the body?

Tom

Yes Tom,

I have the two legged stock strap as you described. I've recently installed a spare one as my old one was almost torn at the clamp end. I will check it tomorrow to make sure that the smaller leg going to the body is properly fastened.

The alternator is not stock as it is one of those 90 Amp VW alternators with the built in regulator. I never had any problems with the system, and I've driven this car for 10 years. Thanks for the input.

NT

Edited by jimk
Wrong forum - it's early!

I would exercise your ground connection from engine to body. Make sure it is clean and solid. Clean up all major grounds since you are in there.  I had a similar problem where the spring on my throttle shaft lit up like a glow plug.

hth

dlm ny country

A quick way to test is to put a jump lead from the engine to the body. Definitely sounds like the engine ground to me. 

Fixed It !

Yes, it was the negative ground to the engine. The bolt was not 100% tight. But, I took everything off, cleaned it, and re-installed.

Thank you all for the input. I wouldn't have guessed it myself. I get lost with electrical.

Slavs

• Like 1

Great!

I was having an issue wherein the car cranked fine but was not firing. The block ground was slightly loose.

Easy fixes are nice ^_^