RenaissanceMan

Preferred alternative to tying off strut nuts?

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

Replacing the shocks struts and springs on my car today, and of course had to remove the wiring that locked the three nuts at the bottom of the strut. Anybody doing any alternative on install to tying with wire, such as a cotter pin or some other type of retaining device?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

just use blue locktite.  done.

no need for wiring, pins or anything else.  those were solutions 50 years ago before thread locking compounds.

• Like 1

What Marshall said but ensure the threads are perfectly clean and bolts are properly torqued. 

• Like 2

I’m fan of safety wire, as the BMW engineers intended.

(Consider: They trusted thread locking compounds on other components 50 years ago (such as flywheel bolts, for example) .. but in a few places, they seemed to prefer the security of ‘mechanical lock’ ... saying this, I’f feel kinda silly if Toby chimes in to say they’ve stopped using safety wire on airplanes.) -KB

Well, I've heard it said that if you don't have skinned knuckles you're doing it wrong, and adding safety wire to those 6 locations definitely keeps a sheen on skinned knuckles.

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 1

Have seen safety wire & the requisite spinning pliers at NAPA and other auto parts stores.

Awesome, thx!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

If you have ever had a strut tube break loose while driving , trust me,you will take all precautions necessary to see that it doesn't happen again. Both of my cars have locktite  and safety wire.

Could be a safety overkill.  It's like wearing a belt and suspenders but I'm pretty confident that the cars are safe

The plyers and the wire are inexpensive. Once you get the hang of it you might safety wire all the rest of the suspension too

Ordered mine off Amazon just for this job. Never did it before. It's actually fun and satisfying once you figure out the direction and wire lengths. Youtube is your friend.

I'm with Ken on this one, too- I use safety wire and loctite.  It takes 5 minutes,

it's fun, and it looks cool.  And as RST says, I had one loosen once...

I'll be honest- there are a few things I safety wire just because they look cool.

And it provides a 100% accurate visual indication that the thing's not spun in its hole.

I use safety springs on the DCOE Mickey Mouse hats...  quick, easy, and they work.

I've lost too many of the darned things.  And unlike 7/16" wrenches, they don't seem to 

turn up on the side of the track when you're doing a walk....

t

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RenaissanceMan said:

Where do you even get wire like that?

From bike (motorcycle) shop. Stainless steel, ~ 0.042" wire dia.

I'm still pretty new to the 02 world, and I was a bit surprised to find safety wire and cotter pins through the suspension. It's what we use on my kids' SCCA autoX go-kart, so I have the tool and the wire. :-)