• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Steve K or anyone with a 13x6 215/50 wheel tire combo ex

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got a set of 13x6 borranis with 215/50 sumitomos (Thanks Brian). I mounted them on the car and there seems to be plenty of clearance everywhere. THere is at least .75 between the tire and the ball joint. The problem is on hard cornering, the tire sidewalls flex enough to rub on the joint. I now you have the same size tire but different brand, I think kuhmos. I plan on getting some kuhmos for autocrossing, but I am not sure if I should get 215/50's after smelling the burnt rubber on the onramp.

So my question is about your tires, do they rub? anywhere? Are you using spacers up front? Would it be better to get the 205/60's? I really like how these 50's feel, I just want to get rid of the interference.

I must add that this wheel/tire combo brings the 02 closer to gokart status. Tire diameter is reduced by 1 1/2" and the cars lower stance shows. As for the borranis, Ive been looking for a set for the past 3-4 years. It was worth the wait. Thanks again Brian, they look really good. Maybe Paul from Max's can help me get the caps :).

.._____

/orig.gif___orig.gif\

[O=00=O]

#=====#

CLICK FOR BIMMER STUFF

More STUFF

Guest Anonymous

02SDtour.jpg

Miguel,

no spacers anywhere. But the Kumho sidewalls are very stiff. the only rub i have is on the back of the wheel well when the wheel is turned all the way to that side. But that rarely happens (not a good idea in an autocross) and mostly when I reverse (also not a good idea in an autocross). But my car is lowered much more then yours and it will have different characteristics. I had to roll all fenders to fit this wheel/tire combination.

nt17.jpg

nt15.jpg

nt18.jpg

nt16.jpg

Are you an SCCA member?

we have an autocross at Candlestick this Sunday, come up and race.

steve k.

Guest Anonymous

Steel wheels (vintage Borranis) will flex a lot under side load. I bet a good part of that 3/4" static clearance that dissapears (evident by rubbing) is from the wheel, not just the tire flexing.

Guest Anonymous

Steve, your car is looking very rad.

I am not with the scca and right now I barely have time for the nasa races. I hope I can make the April date, May is looking tough. I like to make those because right now I am points leader in my class. I still need to do a couple of things to the 02 before I take it out, so for now is still the other bimmer.

.._____

/orig.gif___orig.gif\

[O=00=O]

#=====#

CLICK FOR BIMMER STUFF

More STUFF

Guest Anonymous

I know but the 02 is supposed to be my toy.

I went ahead and put 1/8" spacers in front plus pumped the tires up to 38psi (even know the sidewall says 35max). I chalked the inside and went for a ride. That seem to help a little but there's still some rubbing. Where it rubs on the joint gives me the impresion that there is a lot of tire deflection. It is almost as if it was rubbing on the rear and not on the side. That is somewhat encouraging since the Kuhmos will be stiffer and Iwill have more -camber. Anyways it works for daily driving and the car looks way cool. I may never put the IS wheels back on :-). Thanks for the help. Hope to see you @ Marina.

.._____

/orig.gif___orig.gif\

[O=00=O]

#=====#

CLICK FOR BIMMER STUFF

More STUFF