10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Howdy all -

Sputter's AC runs plenty cold, but can only really do COOOOLD and OFF, since the rheostat on the left is purely ornamental at this point.  The guys at Pelican Parts told me that some folks had luck using a 320i rheostat, though it requires some experimentation on the wiring.

Three questions:

• Have you done this?
  • Does it work well?
  • Do you remember how you wired it?

Current setup:

• Behr on the inside
  • Sandin on the outside

TIA

Perhaps the rheostat from an E21 or early 5 will work, but WARNING WARNING WARNING--do not use the blower switch.  The 2002's Behr blower is wired through the heater blower circuit so both blowers won't be on a the same time.  Any blower switch you use must have four terminals--a three terminal switch won't work.  

mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kaptanoglu said:

Howdy all -

Sputter's AC runs plenty cold, but can only really do COOOOLD and OFF, since the rheostat on the left is purely ornamental at this point.  The guys at Pelican Parts told me that some folks had luck using a 320i rheostat, though it requires some experimentation on the wiring.

Three questions:

• Have you done this?
  • Does it work well?
  • Do you remember how you wired it?

Current setup:

• Behr on the inside
  • Sandin on the outside

TIA

Could you send me pics of your hose routing.  I am about to start this project and would greatly appreciate some pictures of a successful install. 

1 hour ago, Dudeland said:

Could you send me pics of your hose routing.  I am about to start this project and would greatly appreciate some pictures of a successful install. 

Have you looked at the original Behr A/C installation instructions, available in PDF form, along with the Behr A/C parts catalog, at the tii register site?

http://www.2002tii.org/kb/150

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I'm not sure what others have found, but I've had Behr A/C in two or three cars and even when they were relatively new, they only ran super cold or off.  But that was all-Behr, not a mix of parts. (My '76 530i A/C ran that way too but I think that was the first BMW A/C).  I remember replacing the thermostat and fan switch on my '74 tii and that didn't really fix anything.   

Is that common or do some of you have A/C thermostats that actually work?  

3 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

Is that common or do some of you have A/C thermostats that actually work?  

I have not heard of any that work perfectly, though they are probably out there.  I will try to sort this out, and see how it goes.

8 hours ago, Dudeland said:

I did.  They look good, but I am not sure what I should do with the header.

The A/C hoses should be run tight to the right inner fender, as long as that is possible.  Early Clardys came with an insulating sleeve that fit over the hose closest to the factory exhaust, ostensibly to protect it from the exhaust manifold's heat.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

2 hours ago, kaptanoglu said:

I have not heard of any that work perfectly, though they are probably out there.  I will try to sort this out, and see how it goes.

My Frigiking does a pretty good job cycling the compressor based on rheostat position.

Meantime, you can open the window a bit.

:D

Cheers,