Hodgepodge

The nuts and bolts of it...

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

OK, here's a different question.   

Do you ever watch a show like Wheeler Dealers on TV and see them do a decent job of restoring a car, with new wheels for example, but they use the original, beat up, crappy looking lug nuts that makes the wheels look not-right?   As I'm continueing to pull things apart, I am realizing that I am NEVER going to get some of the M6, M8 and M10 nuts and bolts in the engine compartment to look like new.  They are just too old, grimy and beat up.  

Fortunately, as long as you buy things in bulk from a reputable company, and in this case I think all of the BMW bolts are 8.8 class, I can buy plenty of nice, shiny gold zinc plated bolts to replace the gross ones.  I've already bought more stanless steel wave washers (NLA from BMW) than I will ever need and purchased a small number of zinc bolts in various sizes, but it is not going to be enough.  Time to buy a few boxes, I think.... 

I plan to put another order together for Belmetric.com.   A good source for a lot of this stuff including nuts, bolts, screws, speednuts, panel clips, washers, clamps, plugs and hoses. 

https://www.belmetric.com/

From what I can gather, all of the BMW bolts are fine threaded.  Correct?  

Rather than sift through realoem to try to add up the number of nuts and bolts I need, I thought I would ask you guys what makes sense?  

M6x25 is a common size, so I know to get, what, a box of 50?

M8x16 looks like another common size.  

M8x22

M10x?

BMW also uses thick washers in many locations.  Any suggestions on quantity? 

I do a lot of parts business with a BMW dealer that gives me good prices on things, so I have no problem buying specialty bolts from them.   What, if anything, should I only buy from BMW?  (Alternator bolts?  Anything partially threaded?) 

Does anyone have a list or recommendations on how many of each type of nut and bolt I should buy?  

Many of you have spectacular cars right down to the new nuts, bolts and washers.  Please share your thoughts on what I should buy so the nuts and bolts on my eventually finished product can have the same look.  

Thanks,

Scott

I once went through whole realoem to make a list of the nuts, bolts and washers etc.

I haven't added them all up but I could send you the list. (It's in Dutch but everything is listed with the numbers on the pictures eg "11/10 for engine housing")

This is for a regular 2002 touring btw

Edited by D.martijn

I made a google spreadsheet of all the bolts and nuts I recently bought for my engine rebuild on my 76 from Belmetric, based off my research on realoem and comparing to the bolts I removed.

I'll post it up later tonight when I get home.

D.,  That would be great, thanks.   

Just walking through your restoration project link now.  Nice job!  (Learning to weld will be my next bucket list item....)

Zinz, I saw that but I still think it makes more sense to buy in bulk.  

For 6x1mm alone, the 2002 uses lengths from 5mm to 55mm (or more, depending) in 2.5mm increments.

Some are left out.

Many are used in q2 or so.

And there are some applications for 'coarse' and 'very fine' (these are not precise definitions in metric sizing)

Personally, I am insane enough without adding a bolt fetish to the mix...  ;)

t

• Like 2

I looked through my list of fasteners for my complete car and engine restoration.  I bought most fasteners from Belmetric.  Some I bought from McMaster-Carr

Ones I bought in bulk:

M5, M6, M8 nuts (100)

M5, M6, M8 zinc plated wave washers

M5 flat washers, M6 18mm flat washers, M8 20mm flat washers

M6 bolts: 12mm (20), 16mm (20), 25mm (20)

From McMaster:  8mm and 10mm Top Lock Distorted Thread Locknuts (they look exactly like the originals.  The picture is not correct.)

The remaining ones have quantities too small to be worth bulk buying; I made lots of lists and ordered what I needed.  I know I ran out of one of the wave washers, but I don't recall which.

But you are correct - with new shiny fasteners, the engine compartment appearance is so much classier. 

• Like 1

I find it's less expensive to re-plate most BMW fasteners, and you wind up with just the right number of the exact fasteners you need.  Not all '02 fasteners are 8.8: a few, in critical, high-stress applications, are higher classed.

I save new fasteners for places were I've boogered or lost the originals -- or in those high-stress applications, where I don't want to worry whether the fastener was compromised by its past life or by re-plating.

Not many new fasteners on my '76, and it's still holding together....😋

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0944.JPG

Edited by Conserv

Toby, I totally hear you!   I'm really thinking about the more common and more visible bolts.  There are a LOT of fasteners in BMWs that you really can't substitute and I'm sure I will find many here.    

Harold, thanks for the list.  That's about what I was thinking except I already bought stainless wave washers.  Some places want you to buy 50 or more of some of the bolts, but the price at that qty drops by about 60%, so it is marginally worth it.   I didn't think of using McMaster-Carr for the bits I can't get elsewhere.  I'll take a look at their parts and prices.  I've bought lots of stuff from them before when I used to coach a robotics team.    

Conserv, replating?  Never even thought of that.  I'll look into it.  As long as they don't want the bolts to be clean when I provide them......  :-)   

Hey Conserv, what kind of carb do you have under that that cleaner?   It looks awesome! 

xr4tic, sorry, I just saw your post.  Yes, please!  :-)   

46 minutes ago, Hodgepodge said:

Hey Conserv, what kind of carb do you have under that that cleaner?   It looks awesome! 

They’re rarely seen anymore, Scott.  It’s called a...dual barrel Solex.... 😋

Regards,

Steve

E4666897-C254-4C87-886B-449A70185C73.jpeg

All standard metric bolts are coarse thread, whether it is 1.5 or other depends on the size e.g. M8 vs. M12.