2002#2

Strut Bearing Test

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a pair of uninstalled strut bearings that are reportedly virtually new.  I'd like to know they are good before I install them. How can I test their condition before installation?  

Thanks.

The rubber cracks and softens before the bearing gives any problem.  If the rubber is good then you are not going to have any problems with the bearing.

Clean out any old grease and relube. Spin the bearing between your fingers while you do this, it should feel smooth with no obvious damage to the cages or races.

• Like 1

And make sure they fit the OD of the strut top.  I am not sure when yours were bought, but there was a run of bad ones, which had a sloppy fit there.  I think it was about five years ago.

20 hours ago, 2002#2 said:

I have a pair of uninstalled strut bearings that are reportedly virtually new.  I'd like to know they are good before I install them. How can I test their condition before installation?

As others note, you can gauge bearing integrity by hand and eye, so that any rotation is smooth and without any binding.  I'd be more concerned about the integrity of the rubber.  It's akin to a rubber band, which, in its unstressed state, may look perfect, but may only good for one stretch.  In other words, I am unaware of any reasonable means of checking the rubber except for stressing it by an actual installation.  Fortunately, installation is not that difficult.  (Practice makes perfect.) And, considering a few 40-year old mounts are still in service, the odds seem to favor your intended undertaking.

Bon appetite. :P

IMG_5122alt-s.jpgIMG_5275alt-s.jpgIMG_5323alt-s.jpg

http://www.cyclopticgaze.com/2002/26front_rebuild.html

Thanks, Simeon, Johns, Mint, and Percy. 

Good comments and suggestions.  You were correct:  evaluation is straight-forward and easy.

The rubber appeared to be in fine shape.  However, disassembly revealed rock-hard grease, and degreasing revealed free-spinning but exceedingly rough bearings.  Not even close to smooth.  Trashed.  I am relieved by the fact that they were N/C.   The ones in the car appear to be fine.  Will know for sure when they are removed when the entire front end comes out in a week or so.  Now, I will know how to evaluate them.

Regards,

Larry