worzella

(UPDATE) Side mirror attachment solution... maybe

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

My driver mirror more or less came off in my hands when I tried to tighten the set screw, and after investigation, the mount bracket was held on by two screws through holes in the door skin.. one of the holes enlarged so the screw was loose and unable to be tightened more. 

After some FAQ research, I located the capture nuts (NLA everywhere I looked) in the picture at Ace and found the smaller head Phillips 6mm bolt at Home Depot. I originally wanted a hex head 6mm bolt, but the diameter of the head was just a hair too large and would not fit in the mirror track when trying to attach the mirror itself. I had to slightly enlarge the bracket holes too. 

I *think* these capture nuts will fit in the existing holes in my door, but will not know till this weekend when I attempt the project. I will update my results. 

Plan B is to rivet the mount bracket to the door skin!!

IMG_6063.JPG.6c577f6374e66a5f2b98f2121f2d8991.JPG

I have found nutserts to be invaluable for replacing/adding the mirror capture nuts.  Fast, cheap and permanent.  They are also very useful for replacing missing seat rail/seat capture nuts, attaching the center console to the tunnel and holding interior panels.

Here's one example of a metric kit:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/86pcs-Threaded-Nut-Rivet-Tool-Riveter-Rivnut-Nutsert-Gun-Riveting-Kit-M3-M8/142638136408?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211709%26meid%3D51e302d1a5d54b0b8d29d6bb6257a286%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D142638136408&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

• Like 1

Good timing, I'm having this same problem myself! Was able to find some new basket nuts somewhere (currently waiting for them to arrive), but I think it's the door metal that's the issue, so for $35, I might very well try out that rivnut set!

I might see if I can do that, but if I recall the problem is that you can't really get to the back side on the inside of the door to get the nut in there.  Second layer of door metal gets in the way, I believe, but will definitely take a second look.

Pesky cage nuts.  Many years ago I had to replace the cage nuts in my doors.  The PO had aftermarket mirrors on the car which I wanted to replace with OE.DSC00227xsm.jpg.4a240e1287955b0806338628dd742268.jpg

I destroyed a few cage nuts before I realized that they were delivered with the nut below the détente and it (the nut) would distort the cage unevenly before it could grip the sheet metal.  Beware.

Maybe the original design was supposed to distort the cage evenly, but from my experience it didn't work.

Mirror_CagedNut.jpg.2d1f5a4855ce5efaabdbcac57b367472.jpg

Hi, 

Purists will cringe, but I used tape to hold a nut and a long open ended wrench to mount a stainless phillips head bolt and metric nyloc nut from the inside. I was younger and it was a bit of a contortion but it worked...still does 18 years and two mirror changes later. The captive nut was not available at the time or so I thought...I have an unmounted passenger mirror with the funny captive nuts that I have not mustered the courage to mount. Hate drilling in good metal.

Andrew 

• Like 1

Had a fun sunny day with my car in between rainy days. One of my projects was the side mirror mentioned above. Alas, the Ace capture nuts were too big to fit in the holes in the door skin, so as people mention, if you can find 'em, the correct ones are needed. But to the horror of the purists, I did go with plan B and used the existing two screw holes, flattened out the bumps in them and riveted the bracket to the door. 

Added mirror with new longer set screw and she's solid as a rock. Not the prettiest fastening job, but hidden for the next owner to curse the PO :)

IMG_6073.thumb.JPG.66491fdc054bc4509fbb7bb17b6adca8.JPGIMG_6076.thumb.JPG.29384f2688dff5d033870da3343aa762.JPG

• Like 2

Suggestion on the set screw--use an allen-head vs slotted set screw.  Easy to find at your local hardware store.  You can put more torque on an allen screw, better for tightening and for loosening sometime in the future.

mike

• Like 1

Ha ha. I read you saying that previously and that is exactly what I did!!

On 2/14/2018 at 10:32 AM, halboyles said:

I have found nutserts to be invaluable for replacing/adding the mirror capture nuts.  Fast, cheap and permanent.  They are also very useful for replacing missing seat rail/seat capture nuts, attaching the center console to the tunnel and holding interior panels.

Here's one example of a metric kit:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/86pcs-Threaded-Nut-Rivet-Tool-Riveter-Rivnut-Nutsert-Gun-Riveting-Kit-M3-M8/142638136408?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211709%26meid%3D51e302d1a5d54b0b8d29d6bb6257a286%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D142638136408&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

I think nutserts have their place, but I've encountered a problem or two where they have been used and they don;t allow for any movement. The PO for my Alfa used several dozen nutserts, often in places where a simple clip-style speednut should have gone.  He put them in places that were pretty dumb, like the oval gas-tank hold-down slots and a couple of places on the transmission cover.  No idea why he used these instead of speednuts there.   The risk with nutserts is that if they are mounted near a lip and they tear out, they may take a piece of the lip with them.  4 of the 8 nutserts on the gas tank tore out and I had to have the lip welded (with the tank out) so I could go back to speed nuts and re-secure the tank.  

Again, I'm not opposed to them and think they work great in certain situations, but they should not be used wherever tear-out is a risk.    

Edited by Hodgepodge

2 minutes ago, worzella said:

Ha ha. I read you saying that previously and that is exactly what I did!!

Sometimes (often!) I repeat myself...function of age!

mike

Question.  Is there a breakaway point on a 2002 mirror?  At the adjustment ball perhaps?  I was going to suggest 

5 hours ago, worzella said:

Had a fun sunny day with my car in between rainy days. One of my projects was the side mirror mentioned above. Alas, the Ace capture nuts were too big to fit in the holes in the door skin, so as people mention, if you can find 'em, the correct ones are needed. But to the horror of the purists, I did go with plan B and used the existing two screw holes, flattened out the bumps in them and riveted the bracket to the door. 

Added mirror with new longer set screw and she's solid as a rock. Not the prettiest fastening job, but hidden for the next owner to curse the PO :)

IMG_6073.thumb.JPG.66491fdc054bc4509fbb7bb17b6adca8.JPGIMG_6076.thumb.JPG.29384f2688dff5d033870da3343aa762.JPG

That looks terrific.  I was just getting ready to ask if there is a breakaway point on these mirrors in case it were to get smashed so damage to the door is minimized.  I think the rivets solution probably creates a pretty good breakaway point!