20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Is anyone in these recent wonderful times rebuilding steering boxes? Worm gear still NLA forever? Any alternative than being a lepre-uni-chaun finding one with a decent amount of adjustment left in it?

I researched rebuilding a 1958 Gemmer Rambler American box - similar inside to 2002 - and ended up in a dialogue with a nice guy at:  info@redheadsteeringgears.com   who were going to make a gear and redo the other for around $600. No clue if/how they would address a 2002 but they were fearless. Might be worth a ping.

• Like 1

Attn: Golf73. 

You should pm me. 

Mac. 

A $1000 bill with a $600 one!

(sorry, couldn't resist, it's an excellent question)

t

14 hours ago, Einspritz said:

just what did they replace?

Will check the invoice when I get home tonight. I gave them the Ireland Engineering reseal kit. They cleaned and repainted the outside too as well as the pitman arm. I wish they re-installed the pitman arm to the box, but that was easy as they didnt grind off the hash/line up marks. 

18 hours ago, bianchini said:

I just got mine rebuilt at straight line steering in san jose for $400. They didnt have any trouble finding replacement parts.... also gave me a 1 year warranty... give them a call!

http://www.straightlinesteering.com/Home page.htm

No trouble finding parts is the kicker... from my limited experience breaking down 2 of these guys, you can clean’em, paint ‘em, new seal/ gasket ‘em... but if the gears are shot you are not much better off. It might not leak but will still be sloppy. 

• Like 1

Rim shot Please!

The reason I ask is I have "inroads" on the sleeve bushings as well as the "outer" bearing race (the thick one) shims and perhaps a "secret stash" of top castings with included bushing.

But not budget items.

Those bushings require (as they all did) proper honing to get the proper clearance with the shaft. The shafts do wear, but not much, and standard bushings allow too much clearance.

Alternatively, I am working on my own bushings which will have oil channels that should let the air out of the bottom of the box and allow fluid down "there"....the root cause of the bushing and seal failure........I'm getting some samples produced and just need to decide how much clearance I want to tolerate.

Also, the needle bearings should be replaced and shimmed on the roller to specification.

I used to rebuild these "back in the '80s" (they ran dry from neglect) when the parts were readily available. Now, it has only taken me 2 years of sporadic working recently  to dimension, X-Ref, source, spec. etc. to be able to get the proper parts as ZF, its parts, and knowledge base are now "assimilated".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worzella said:

No trouble finding parts is the kicker... from my limited experience breaking down 2 of these guys, you can clean’em, paint ‘em, new seal/ gasket ‘em... but if the gears are shot you are not much better off. It might not leak but will still be sloppy. 

I can understand that. But what they gave back to me feels like a tight and little to no slop steering box, with new parts. I have a year to see how bad it "deteriorates" and will review from there.

@Einspritz you are on a whole different level and I don't have the technical expertise like you. I left it up to a shop who does steering boxes and is confident enough to warranty it. Your service doesn't go un-noticed though!

Edited by bianchini

Thanks!

Since they are "local" Bay Area, I will probably give them a call to see if I can get parts from them, rather than overseas. And too, I am curious as to what constitutes a rebuild.

If you got a box that works for you, great.

Just make sure you align the yokes up so that your steering wheel isn't crooked. I hate that.

Best-

2 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Thanks!

Since they are "local" Bay Area, I will probably give them a call to see if I can get parts from them, rather than overseas. And too, I am curious as to what constitutes a rebuild.

If you got a box that works for you, great.

Just make sure you align the yokes up so that your steering wheel isn't crooked. I hate that.

Best-

Ha! i struggled for 45 min trying to get it straight. I pulled it out of the garage, drove down the street, it was crooked. went to my mechanic, took the nut off behind the horn button, re-centered my wheel, nut back on, away I went. Still needs a little alignment, but its my suggestion for anyone with this dilemma coming up. 

well good.

can you tell me if there is any slop in your wheel, and if you have a stock wheel?

S/B about / less than 20mm.....on a stock 2002 wheel.

The worm gears are intermittently available. I bought one about a year and a half ago because my original was toast. With that and the seals, I was able to rebuild my steering box without too much trouble.