• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting troubles.

GangsterTacoCat

Okay, rebuilt motor. Cam, headers, all good internals. Was running fine. Rich, but fine. Plugs became fouled. So, installed new plugs. Swapped the 32/36 for a brand new 38/38. Haven't messed with the jets. Good battery. I just can't get it running right again. I think it's needs the timing done but I need it running to do the timing.

Anyone with insights, please chime in. I'm sure it will end up being something simple that will make me feel a bit ignorant, but in happy to feel mechanically inadequate if that will help get this mean girl back on the road. Anxious because the weather is warming up and the curvy mountain roads are calling me....

I slowed the video down at the end so you can see it spitting fuel out the top of the carb.

Thanks in advance.

http://

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gosh that doesn't sound anything like a good battery... It should be cranking over pretty fast, I would think.

Also... that's quite a bit of fuel, and I have no idea how it's squirting out the top. It's supposed to suck not blow! Check down into the manifold and make sure you aren't flooding it with all that fuel...

I was... different carb, different issue, but still... :)

• Like 1

'74 Verona

Retard the timing.

Edit: post the vid at regular speed please. Edit: NVM I was reminded I could play it at 2x :P

Also, no platinum plugs.

Edited by ray_
  • Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Gosh that doesn't sound anything like a good battery... It should be cranking over pretty fast, I would think.

Also... that's quite a bit of fuel, and I have no idea how it's squirting out the top. It's supposed to suck not blow! Check down into the manifold and make sure you aren't flooding it with all that fuel...

I was... different carb, different issue, but still... [emoji4]

I mean daaaaaaaaaang, that battery is maybe 4 months old! Battery charger says it's okay, but that charger is a bit janky. Maybe I'll swap the battery for an Optima and make sure I have a trickle charger that's up to snuff. As far as the fuel blowing upwards, I had never seen that either, on any car. I had to get the GoPro to confirm what I *thought* I was seeing. So thanks for input. I'll keep y'all posted.

2 minutes ago, GangsterTacoCat said:

I mean daaaaaaaaaang, that battery is maybe 4 months old! Battery charger says it's okay, but that charger is a bit janky. Maybe I'll swap the battery for an Optima and make sure I have a trickle charger that's up to snuff. As far as the fuel blowing upwards, I had never seen that either, on any car. I had to get the GoPro to confirm what I *thought* I was seeing. So thanks for input. I'll keep y'all posted.

Ray's right, as usual... :P It's hard to tell because you slowed down the vid. But when playing it at 2x speed it looks like the carb is spitting. You're igniting the mixture too early and it's coming out the carb, as well as your starter is fighting the combustion and that is causing it to struggle to crank over. 

At least, that's my understanding of it...

Retard the timing!!

• Like 1

'74 Verona

I can see the choke plate opening and closing. Try propping it open.  Check to make sure that the wires are in the correct order. and that you don't have them off by one.  

I would also check the timing after you get it running. 

I suspect plug wires are in the incorrect order, that is the only way you can get a backfire like that. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 minute ago, Dudeland said:

I can see the choke plate opening and closing. Try propping it open.  Check to make sure that the wires are in the correct order. and that you don't have them off by one.  

I would also check the timing after you get it running. 

I suspect plug wires are in the incorrect order, that is the only way you can get a backfire like that. 

I've gotten mine to spit just from the timing being too far advanced...

'74 Verona

Just now, flagoworld said:

I've gotten mine to spit just from the timing being too far advanced...

He may be right, tho. :)

M10's don't like platinums. They will foul in the blink of an eye in my experience. 

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.