• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting grills and head lights

jerryasi

So 20 years ago I purchased a new core support and grills for my 1972 2002. Just now doing a nut and bolt resto, car on a rotissory. I just reassembled the head light buckets and fit them in the core support with grills and they don't mesh. I have "sunkin lights". Please tell me there's a cheaper fix than a pair of euro buckets from W & N. Also need to know the "how to" of up loading pictures to this site, have some parts I'd like to sell and all I get is "There was a problem uploading the file." Help!

3 hours ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

Are you referring to these, Ray?

001.thumb.JPG.f41bdabee625e8e7661a5d9d690edc8b.JPG005.thumb.JPG.b4bcfed3046a186bab49416dce63c8ee.JPG

The asymmetric rings (above) lock into the sealed beam retainer rings and are one way to solve the sunken headlight issue on U.S.-spec '02's, by filling the "gap", as Ray mentions.  But U.S. cars, in approximately January 1972, began receiving "shallow grilles", which obviated the need for the asymmetric rings, allowing the lower outer corners of the sealed beam to protrude a bit from the grille's trim ring. So shallow grilles are another way to solve the sunken-headlight problem.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I was thinking about making appropriately sized spacers to insert between the bucket and the car body behind. This would bring the whole lamp forwards and better fill the grilles. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 1 year later...

Now that this is irrelevant, those eye brow asymmetric rings don't close the gap to stock 1972 head light buckets into deep grills. I'm going to have some fresh restored buckets for sale to help recover from ordering euro buckets from W&N.

part #.jpg

eyebrow n grill.jpg

the fact that the sticker says mobile tradition means its pretty old

all the parts i've bought in the past few years all now say bmw classic on the box

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

1 hour ago, jerryasi said:

Now that this is irrelevant, those eye brow asymmetric rings don't close the gap to stock 1972 head light buckets into deep grills. I'm going to have some fresh restored buckets for sale to help recover from ordering euro buckets from W&N.

part #.jpg

eyebrow n grill.jpg

Well... the original U.S.-only sealed-beam headlight buckets worked with deep grilles and asymmetric rings originally, so something has changed since 1972. Obviously there are a few possibilities. Are you, for instance, fitting the grilles to the nosepiece with both their Phillips-head screws and the outboard hook and thumb wheel, which pull the outboard corners of the grilles tight to the nosepiece? Is the mis-alignment equal on the left and right sides of the car? Are the headlight buckets on their correct respective sides: they are handed?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

The core support/grills (not the headlight buckets, they're 1972) pictured, are all 18/19 year old "mobile Tradition" bits that BMW offered at the time they were building a new 2002tii, I think? The core support as you see is on my bench, not on the car (I'm working with a slow "pit work" body man) so brought it home to sort the headlight grill issues and the new radiator and cooling fan mounting. I thought about using spacers behind the buckets to bring all parts into focus. I was hopeful that someone else may have tried to incorporate these parts. The core support made in Italy . . . really, how will that fit?

core support part number.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jerryasi said:

The core support/grills (not the headlight buckets, they're 1972) pictured, are all 18/19 year old "mobile Tradition" bits that BMW offered at the time they were building a new 2002tii, I think? The core support as you see is on my bench, not on the car (I'm working with a slow "pit work" body man) so brought it home to sort the headlight grill issues and the new radiator and cooling fan mounting. I thought about using spacers behind the buckets to bring all parts into focus. I was hopeful that someone else may have tried to incorporate these parts. The core support made in Italy . . . really, how will that fit?

core support part number.jpg

I see, Jerry. Are you able to measure the depth of the headlight bucket’s seat (on the core support) from the front fascia? You could compare this dimension to another ‘02 having good-fitting stock grilles. Your test fit suggests the seat is approximately 1/2” deeper than it need be (but the grille itself is not quite tight against the fascia and the un-evenness of the gap made me suspect the handed buckets were reversed).

The U.S.-spec headlight buckets, incidentally, are identical from 1966 through 1976, save for the asymmetric filler ring with deep (aluminum) grilles and black retainer rings on square taillight cars. 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Learned something new today - I've never even heard of the filler rings until today. Great photos and thanks for posting.

I'm still having trouble differentiating shallow and deep buckets. Both of my '73s have the same grill, ones an early '73 and one is a late '73.

Wish I could offer guidance to you but I'm curious how this all works out.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!