repoman

Tii Injection pump throttle plate bent...normal?

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

So I am in the midst of measuring and lubing my tii throttle linkage and noticed that the throttle plate on the injection pump is bent where the connecting rod attaches.  It's hard to imagine that the connecting rods or shaft could bend this.  Just wondering if this is normal.  I have seen other pumps (see last pic) that this is not bent.  Or maybe it depends on the model/year/style of injection pump.  My car is an 06/1974 production, however, the IP is stamped 73.  Just wondering if I need to bend this back into place.  TIA

IMG_6526.jpg

IMG_6529.jpg

IMG_6536.jpg

Edited by repoman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be straight like the others. Jamming your foot on the gas pedal could do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jgerock said:

Should be straight like the others. Jamming your foot on the gas pedal could do that. 

 

Only if the stop is adjusted wrong?

Edited by irdave
changed the s to an f to make a bit more sense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, irdave said:

 

Only is the stop is adjusted wrong?

The stop bolt on the pump contacts the arm lower than the ball pivot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jgerock said:

Jamming your foot on the gas pedal could do that. 

 

Hmmm...when the linkages are set, the gas pedal stop should NOT allow any more pull on the lever.  Right?  I think the linkages were not set correctly for that pump.

 

8 hours ago, irdave said:

Only is the stop is adjusted wrong?

 

irdave, look at the FI manual regarding the linkage setup process.  Pedal at full throttle, lever just touching its stop, with the 5mm hole in the KF pump exposed in the 4th notch of the lever.

 

Do you have a stop at your gas pedal? 

5a836ed5af6e6_pedalstop.jpg.2df97124588df0b36e043a464dd5d5b3.jpg

Or sometimes the tii gas pedal is replaced with a non-tii gas pedal.  They are different.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Or sometimes the tii gas pedal is replaced with a non-tii gas pedal.  They are different.

 

How do they differ?  I didn't know that!  Mine is probably wrong...

 

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, saaron said:

How do they differ? 

 

The stop nub on the top of the pedal is different.  I'll bet someone here has pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

little scraped up from the vise, but a lot straighter now...

 

plate.jpg

pedal.jpgHere's a pic of my tii pedal.   I think it is a bit thinner and longer than the other

Edited by repoman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree you probably need to reset the linlage lengths. You need some special tools to lock the pump. Nothing your can’t improvise though. The hook tool locks the pump. The pin tool acts a a stop in the throttle body. I’m sure that FI link above goes over it. Good luck.

97559A31-8305-451B-BDD5-9A9EE420FF53.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My '74 tii with production date 10/1973 per realoem looks just like yours, bent. I thought is was damage also for a while. But as I looked closer I could not see any of the metal buckled around or underneath the nub. Also the bend is toward the front of the car. So something would have to be pushing from the rear toward the front to bend it that direction. The only piece connected to the nub is the last of three linkages that connect the accelerator pedal, and throttle. Pushing down on the pedal pulls the nub rearward to open the Kfish for more fuel. Releasing the pedal pushes the nub forward. So in an extreme case the pedal would have to be lifted even further back toward the rear of the car to put forward pressure on the nub. And the original ball joints were plastic. I think it would be very unlikely that someone would have forced the throttle linkage in a direction that closes off fuel to the engine, and with a force that would bend that piece of steel. Therefore I think the "bent" looking nub is original.

I also think I saw some other pictures on the FAQ with similar bent looking nub.

 

Does anyone else have pictures of their kfish?

Paul

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gambitpaul said:

Does anyone else have pictures of their kfish?

Here's a few. There is a bend and it is most evident in photo #2. I have another pump at Ingram Enterprises being rebuilt. I am curious to see what that one looks like.

Tony

 

Kfisch_74_3.thumb.JPG.8318134d40c5a489e6de1dce3263489a.JPGKfisch_74_4.thumb.JPG.c7429b41ca8af3a0456a179d2807d504.JPGKfisch_74_7.thumb.JPG.51fd2b591b16a475fafcc14ba5c2f4c6.JPGKfisch_74_5.thumb.JPG.d43014c92679509826f1aa5cec635aa2.JPG

Edited by Ensign
added text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gambitpaul said:

My '74 tii with production date 10/1973 per realoem looks just like yours, bent. I thought is was damage also for a while. But as I looked closer I could not see any of the metal buckled around or underneath the nub. Also the bend is toward the front of the car. So something would have to be pushing from the rear toward the front to bend it that direction. The only piece connected to the nub is the last of three linkages that connect the accelerator pedal, and throttle. Pushing down on the pedal pulls the nub rearward to open the Kfish for more fuel. Releasing the pedal pushes the nub forward. So in an extreme case the pedal would have to be lifted even further back toward the rear of the car to put forward pressure on the nub. And the original ball joints were plastic. I think it would be very unlikely that someone would have forced the throttle linkage in a direction that closes off fuel to the engine, and with a force that would bend that piece of steel. Therefore I think the "bent" looking nub is original.

I also think I saw some other pictures on the FAQ with similar bent looking nub.

 

Does anyone else have pictures of their kfish?

Paul

 

agree, the force of the gas pedal would bend the lever the other way, if that was at all possible...pretty tough to bend it.  I would think the rod would bend before this plate.

3 hours ago, Ensign said:

Here's a few. There is a bend and it is most evident in photo #2. I have another pump at Ingram Enterprises being rebuilt. I am curious to see what that one looks like.

Tony

 

Kfisch_74_3.thumb.JPG.8318134d40c5a489e6de1dce3263489a.JPGKfisch_74_4.thumb.JPG.c7429b41ca8af3a0456a179d2807d504.JPGKfisch_74_7.thumb.JPG.51fd2b591b16a475fafcc14ba5c2f4c6.JPGKfisch_74_5.thumb.JPG.d43014c92679509826f1aa5cec635aa2.JPG

I looked at about 5 different pumps and most were bent like mine, while the others were straight.  It appeared that the earlier style were straight, however, not sure if that is correct.  I believe I jumped the gun on straightening mine as it does not fit right now.  The connecting rods are pretty spot on with the length...looks like I need to try and bend it back...hopefully I don't snap it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two pumps, one from a Feb 1974 tii and the other from a July 1974 tii. Both have the bend in the arm.

 

IMAG1252.jpg

IMAG1253.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now