• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too nice to drive?

tii74

4 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

That's one pretty car!

Too nice to drive?  Years ago, when I was looking into the AH3000 that I currently own, I saw an article in an issue of AH Magazine of a car that was about to be restored.  The owner was quoted as saying that this car was not meant to be a garage queen and he fully intended to drive it as often as he could.  Being in the SF Bay Area means it could be driven several months in a year.

I contacted him to get some tips on restoration, about ten years after he completed his.  He had driven the car a total of four hundred miles.

haha. typical. perhaps he struggled with mechanical issues. worst thing that can happen to a vehicle and to not drive it. I can't let any of my vintage vehicles sit for more that a week. 

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

1 hour ago, worzella said:

A work of art... or Art, if that is your name ?

Do you by chance have a pix of that coil label to post. I am curious of the specs on the label and origin info

I have the proper coil for my ‘75 with resistor wire and it has green label from Bosch Brazil

Just curious

Randy

Thanks all.

Coil is from Blunt

https://blunttech.com/products/7843020

10 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

That's one pretty car!

Too nice to drive?  Years ago, when I was looking into the AH3000 that I currently own, I saw an article in an issue of AH Magazine of a car that was about to be restored.  The owner was quoted as saying that this car was not meant to be a garage queen and he fully intended to drive it as often as he could.  Being in the SF Bay Area means it could be driven several months in a year.

I contacted him to get some tips on restoration, about ten years after he completed his.  He had driven the car a total of four hundred miles.

lol 400 miles in 10 years!? While my 1600 isn't going to win any awards, its still pretty nice...and I put on 13k last year. I might exceed that this year

11 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

That's one pretty car!

sounds like the infamous orange M2 that sold last year for 125k.  top notch performance build....owner put 450 miles on it in 10yrs.  waste.

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 3

2xM3

Drive it or sell it, we love watchin the Bat crazy auctions! Beautiful work, I keep mine a little rattier for warrior duty on the 5

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

This reminds me of the nice leather jacket hanging in the closet. It is too nice to wear. So it hangs in there until it is out of fashion or no longer fits...

You are doing a great job with this car. (aside from the money side of things) Why not enjoy it?

(In my case I enjoy finding a car, updating and fixing it, making it look good, taking it to car shows , then in about a year sell it and do it all again. I enjoy the entire process.)

Edited by Moto Carlo

Hi,

Lovely, like new, better than new in many aspects. A tough call, hold, sell and cash in or drive it. I would not just let it sit. I am negotiating with a guy who owns a Saab 99 turbo, restored for some 30k 12 years ago. I have a difficult time explaining to him that because he put it in a showroom window the interior has faded, the seals are hardening and if I wanted to drive it I would put 2k into it just to get past the first inspection. It has a certain value sitting there, but not for me.

I have never put the hard time into the paint and bodywork to get them to concours, but I have replaced/improved every single mechanical component (ok, except the damn wiper motor which will get its 2nd rebuild) so I can really drive it. I think it should be driven, it will be great to drive, just like new and kept well you can enjoy it for 20 years without repainting or major fixes. Assuming its not a daily driver. I finished restoring mine in 2006 and have rallied it, used it for track days, for a few vacation trips and its still good enough to show if needed. It will not win prizes, but so what.

If you had a 2002 with a few hundred miles from the showroom, I would not drive it because that is museum material. What you have done is beautiful and it will only get more expensive to do in the future...but it also depreciates to some extent just sitting unless you sell it on to another museum. I have the feeling this is happening to the early 911s, they will just get pushed from collection to collection rather than be driven and that will be a shame. For me its sad to see cars in museums and wonder whether despite the nice paint they actually move...

Regards,

Andrew

• Like 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

I’m still in the assembly process. With any luck, the engine is going back in next week. I finished putting the glass back in and made some heart wrenching cuts in the new headliner (fortunately in the correct places).

4CC1255C-9DC4-4843-B2D3-A5436BC94935.jpeg

DD3C6463-424E-4CD7-8D91-EB92069727A1.jpeg

1026E121-F2AE-4F75-A226-D084CF35FBC1.jpeg

EEB5DC64-426B-46FA-9A25-5A50438A99BB.jpeg

2BFA9CA5-2EC2-4F19-8063-96438D85B316.jpeg