• Upcoming Events

76E10

fuel tank sender unit

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

since i got this car in jan. 2018 and have not been able to do much do it other then fixing the fuel delivery issue and getting the car started, i wanted to take the sender unit out of the tank today and clean up the trap filter, but once i removed the trunk floor cover i see that the hoses are not connected, im not sure if this has been modified but the fuel is being pushed out from the sending unit and nothing is hooked up to the siphon unit?  is this s normal mod done to eliminate fuel delivery issues?  

WIN_20180211_20_54_12_Pro.jpg

That's a Tii fuel tank. On a Tii the sender is just a sender and the fuel pickup and return are via the 'syphon unit' as you called it (the larger diameter bolted fitting).

I guess yours is a carb car as you have a carb sender with integrated pickup that's feeding into the plastic fuel line (this line is delivery on carb cars and return on injected cars).

So, I guess it's the wrong tank for your car, but your simple sender pickup should work fine.

Mmmm... the experts will come to the rescue shortly, but is your car a Tii? I do not think so, but it seems perhaps someone put a Tii tank in your car??

My 75 has the sending unit as yours does and 75/76 smog cars had a return pipe.. that hose coming out from under the ccarpet. But my 75 tank does not have that double pipe unit with the high pressure bolt pattern.. which I believe is for the fuel injected Tii.

But I might be totally out in left field...

no my car is not Tii, perhaps someone put a wrong tank, but i dont get why there is a black hose coming out from the chassis, the one that is not hooked up to anything. the two hoses coming out of the siphon are plugged.

fuel is delivered to the fuel pump via the thin clear tube, attached to the sender unit.

On a injected one, the tank has a fuel gauge unit (wont call it sender) that just has wires for guage but no fuel output.   And an injected has that multi bolt sender and fuel return pipe

A non injected has a combined sender with wires and output pipe and also has just a pipe soldered coming out of tank. This is the return which would attach to that hose coming all the way from the carb. When gas was not used by carb the excess would flow back to tank

Your setup is a Franken tank sink the replaced fuel guage with combined guage/sender and disconnected return. 

The return in the engine bay should be a pipe along driver frame rail with a hose section to carb diverter valve. Bet it is gone or plugged

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.