• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dizzy Housing Gasket Leak

larryt

apologies for this as i have seen a previous post on this however i am wondering if someone could give me some more information that ive previously found.

i have had some pooling of oil in the two small wells next to the dizzy (on the housing/head connection) i removed the dizzy housing and cleaned it up, upon inspection i noticed that there was a small crak on the shaft where the dizzy goes into, this isnt huge but could oil be leaking from this? also there was a fair bit of red silcone sealant all over the mating faces of the dizzy housing and the end of the head. also another small crack on the end of the head which doesnt look to be part of any oils ways (will get a photo of this asap). 

anyway i noticed on a previous thread that someone had said i need a special washer? none of the 5 bolts i removed had a washer on them, therefore which should i get and which one does it go on? 

i will take the housing off again soon and clean it up the best i can, i want to apply some sealant to both faces of the housing and the end of the head, should i be looking to put sealant anywhere else? 

also should i replace the Oring on the dizzy as oil could be coming up through this? 

so so sorry for all the questions but ive never experienced anything like this and its frustrating and causing me a small but potent oil leak onto the manifold and meaning i cant use the car :(

• 2 months later...

coming back to this one, i have read over many different threads on this subject, ive tried everything to get this f**KING leak to stop. including

new gasket

gasket sealant

new oring on dizy

new distributor housing! 

new washers 

new everything...

ive still got a little leak at the bottom rear which an area i cannot see

can anyone tell me how to fix this poxy thing, its the last mechanical thing on the car before i can use it. at the moment oil is dripping onto the manifold and causing a rather large amount of smoke

Which distributor are you running? I had an early Ireland unit that leaked no matter what I did. Came to find out the O-ring groove was too high on the shaft... it never sealed properly. 

Which gasket sealant did you use?

Ed

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Try to clean matting surfaces again and get new gasket. Apply sealant to housing cover, put gasket on and apply sealant on gasket. install the cover and hand tighten bolts. STOP. Return 1/2 later and torque the bolts to following specs in diagonal directions.

Distributor flange at cylinder head: M8 23 - 27 Nm, M6 9 - 11 Nm

Let RTV cure for 24 hours before start your car. 

Oil leak could be also caused by oil pressure switch and crush washer underneath the switch.

• Like 2

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

I would clean and dry the entire area (break clean and then use rubbing alcohol) making sure no oil residue is left.  Start the engine and watch ( have beer or two),  gradually rev the engine and just maybe you can pinpoint the leak without having to buy all the parts, seals and gaskets, just to find out the (for example) copper crush washer is faulty/leaking.  just a thought.

Matt

IMAG0618.jpg

Just to cover all the bases, or is it wickets on your side? check to see if the oil drain hole for the cam/dist gear is not plugged up with a errant bit of sealant.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Just to cover all the bases, or is it wickets on your side? check to see if the oil drain hole for the cam/dist gear is not plugged up with a errant bit of sealant.

+1 I thought about that an hour after my original post. Thanks for bringing that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

FYI, for anyone stumbling onto this thread. Maybe could be excessive crankcase pressure?

My '76 'suddenly' started leaking oil everywhere - distributor, valve cover, even a valve cover bolt stud!

I had installed an oil catch can and, even though I 'shaped' a hose with a 90 degree turn by heating it with copper tubing inside, what I hadn't realized is that some time later it decided to pinch. So, I effectively wasn't allowing the crankcase to vent.

I'm going to relocate the catch can and redo all my gaskets. I'll post again when I'm done.

A friend of mine hooked me up with some wave washers, so hopefully my valve cover gasket will be happier still.

Edited by JQ02

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024