• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally done

Preyupy

45 minutes ago, m6smitten said:

That is sexy. Elaborate on the "Holy Grail" comment please.

I think it comes down to a number,

;-)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I'm curious about the manifold heat shield.

Did you prep and paint the original, or were you able to get a "new" one?

If you painted it, what did you use to match the OE color of black? It looks to be the correct amount of gloss.

That would be helpful, thanks.

It is a ceramic coating.  I also had the manifold and turbo exhaust housing coated to try and control the heat.  The manifolds and turbo housings are known to crack and this should help.  You can see it at  https://www.performancecoatings.com/exhaust-coating  it is the Glacier Black exhaust coating 

That heat shield is a reproduction,  This car did not have a shield and there were none to be found anywhere.  We had a local metal fab guy make a few (they were not cheap)  We used the one from my car to copy,  I would defy anyone to tell me which one is original and which is the reproduction.  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Thanks for the info; yeah I  have cracked manifolds in the past, but fortunately I have inventory. I think it is due to an improperly tuned engine.

My lower end is done, and am waiting to assemble the rest.

Those heat shields are really nice work....I surmise that the difference between the OE and reproductions is that the OE shields are rust laden vestiges of their former selves..

• Like 1

I did luck out and have my shield in very good condition. But I have run into a few that were quite a bit lighter than they were when new.  

I have a spare manifold too, just in case.  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, '74Turbo said:

Well done!!  (gotta admit, I'm kinda jealous!)  Great attention to detail.  Your fuel lines; oh so cleeeeeaaannnn.

Cheers,

Mark

The new fuel lines yellow just like the old ones.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 1 month later...