• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacramento 02'ers... paint garage

dang

I just bought some old quirky commercial property in Roseville that has several buildings on it.  Part of the property will be my personal fun zone with some garages (that need rebuilding) and a couple other 1-1/2 car garages that are usable now.  The cool thing is, one of the garages is setup as a pseudo paint booth with a built in fan and some vents for filters on the doors.  It's not a sealed awesome paint booth like you'd imagine, but it will work really well for paint jobs that will need color-sanding anyway, like the ones I do in my garage at home.

I'm posting this because I'd like all of you local 02 guys to be able to take advantage of it.  If you're painting a few panels or an entire car i can probably help you get it done if you want to "DIY" it.  I'm not a professional painter and would never call myself that, but I've probably painted 20 cars over the years from piece parts to whole cars.  It's easier that you think.  At least the painting part, the prep work is a different story but I'm sure you guys are already aware of that.

I've got a lot on my plate that's a higher priority right now but the paint garage won't take much to get it operational.  Let me know if you need some help and we'll try to make it happen...

Dan

Rocklin / Roseville

Edited by dang
  • Like 2

When I get around to working on the garage I plan on adding some lighting on the walls and painting the walls white.  I have a compressor to hook up in the garage next to it and plumb the lines to the painting side, add a regulator, etc.  There's not that much work really.  Should be usable within a few months, when the weather is better for painting...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Making progress.  Lights haven't arrived yet so I'm waiting to know where to mount the electrical boxes.  The LED lights say that the bulbs are not removable but I'm not sure what that means as far as mounting the housing and whether it comes apart.  I'd prefer to mount the lights over the electrical box and not have any cords showing so as long as I can get the light fixtures apart it should be okay.  Here's some demo photos...

Edit:  Lights got here today and they're not built like I expected.  There is no "box" like the typical florescent with a ballast, it's just a piece of metal with plastic ends for the bulb mounts.  They should work fine but I have to rethink how they'll mount.

paint-garage.jpg

paint-garage4.jpg

paint-garage3.jpg

paint-garage2.jpg

Edited by dang

1 hour ago, Rosheee said:

I am really excited for this..i have returned to look at the pics 3x this week

... and the pics still look the same!  LOL  As (un)luck would have it, the underground power wires that feel the garages has a drain on one of the lines (showing 95v) so that slowed me down.  I have to deal with it and may have to replace all the underground lines, but in the meantime I can keep working on the garage.  Weird coincidence, I was pulling all the electrical out of the garage when all of my power tools stopped working.  After checking for UFO's I started backtracking the power and found the low voltage feed line.  It confused me at first because I thought for sure it was something that I did even though non of it made sense. 

Edited by dang

More progress being made but nothing really to show with photos.  I have all the power run for lights and outlets and found a guy on craigslist getting rid of a bunch of fiberglass insulation that will work perfectly for what I need.  Bonus!  If all goes well I should be putting drywall up within a week or so.

One photo to share...  I found where the squirrels were hiding their nuts when I took off a piece of drywall.  I also picked up some second-hand insulation off of craigslist that should work good for the ceiling.

IMG_20180510_192610823.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Something to show.... sort of.  My time has been diverted to a backyard project at home, gotta keep the wife happy!  I've been working on the garage before work and at lunch so progress is slow.  Soon I'll be at it full speed again....  Getting some insulation up...

IMG_20180524_142305752.jpg

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors