• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacramento 02'ers... paint garage

dang

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned up the kidney grille a little better.  Here's photos of when I got the car and now.  Pounding out the dents and working the aluminum, sanding and polishing took some time but wasn't all that hard to do.

kidney orig.jpg

kidney2.jpg

Edited by dang

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Driving the car around in the Sacramento heat was causing the temp to run higher than it should.  Since it only has a temp range on the gauge and not actual numbers to reference, it normally runs at around 12:00 on the gauge and got up to around 1:00 while sitting still.  The radiator was suspect and air flow for sure, so I decided to change to an aluminum radiator and add a pusher fan.  The radiator is a Champion and fits great, and it was only $180.  The fan is from a Toyota but I'm not sure which one since I just found a broken fan assembly and took the motor and blade off.  Used two strut tower "washers" from another car and mounted the motor directly to the radiator, then used a temp sensor in the radiator bung.  The fan turns on or off with the sensor and off when the ignition is turned off.

IMG_20210603_175048732.jpg

IMG_20210603_175804815.jpg

IMG_20210603_180008275.jpg

IMG_20210603_180246877.jpg

IMG_20210603_180340064.jpg

IMG_20210605_154849602.jpg

IMG_20210605_155111712.jpg

IMG_20210605_160449633.jpg

Edited by dang
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Made it out the local Cars and Coffee.  Nothing going on with the car right now project wise, on the back burner while I replace a few house roofs before the rain comes.  Rain in CA?  LOL

238556012_2711199475845469_5244665494039471347_n.jpg

IMG_20210814_084715927_HDR.jpg

Edited by dang
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Replaced the original seat belts with some aftermarket retractable units.  Cheap, easy and works awesome.  The factory belts attached on the roof and did not retract, so if I used the shoulder belt it went right across my neck and had to be left loose so I could reach the dash.  Useless.  The new belts are bascially 90's style belts.

IMG_20211119_172715780.jpg

IMG_20211119_180003862.jpg

IMG_20211119_180707412.jpg

IMG_20211119_181216508.jpg

IMG_20211119_181258269.jpg

The B-pillar had a recessed area at shoulder height and after taking the trim off found a hole in the trim covered with vinyl and a threaded hole in the B-pillar.  Took about 20 minutes to install each side and I'm really happy with the results.

Edited by dang

• 1 month later...

So I really was going to put the air suspension on the 2800 next but I came across another project that I had to get.  Let's just say, if my wife ever found out that I passed up this G-wagon I'd be sleeping in the shop.  It's been her dream car for years and years.

2000 Mercedes G500 Europa.  I knew nothing about these things.  Zero.  Never even sat in one and always thought they were kinda cool military-ish style but way too pretentious for my taste.  It's a basket case, has had virtually no maintenance over the years and had several issues that needed to be figured out before even being able to buy it.

Turns out the Europas, which I had never heard of, were sold by a company in NM named Europa who had the rights to sell them in the U.S.  They purchased a total of 220 European versions (ours is #33) and converted the emissions to U.S. standards and marketed them to the upper end market.  It worked, so Mercedes got the rights back in 2002 and sold them through Mercedes dealerships from that point on.  History lesson over.  I'm learning that the early G-wagons are WAY more reliable than the later ones and I'm liking the way they're put together.

To start with, the original owner sold it because it wouldn't shift and two shops had given up on it.  At least that's what he told us, plus they told him it was so rusty that it wasn't worth putting money into.  Luckily for me that wasn't the case.  I figured out the shifting problem, replaced both broken motor mounts and diagnosed and fixed the emission issues to get it to pass a CA smog test.  It's now roadworthy!  It has a frame and spent time back east, so at first glance it looked pretty bad underneath, but at some point it had been undercoated and when a layer of surface rust started coming off the undercoating made it look ten times worse.  It's cleaning up nicely and not a concern at all.  The coach works has some previous body work that needs attention and a small area of rust at the common place that will only need a small patch.  I'm in the middle of body and paint to clean it up.

BTW, I hate the wheels because it puts it in that "Beverly Hills" group.  I'm hoping when the tires wear out my wife will be okay with putting 32" off-road tires on the stock 18" wheels.  8-)

IMG_20210701_184220470.thumb.jpg.9745052e080763903bc7baddb6b210d6.jpg

Edited by dang
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hood and flares are painted and now I'm cleaning up the paint... sanding and polishing.  For some reason I got a lot more debris in the paint and it's taking more time to clean up.  And my shoulders hurt from sanding.  LOL.  As expected since I'm just painting in a garage.  I'm happy with the paint so it will turn out fine.

Hoping to have the fenders, quarter panel and rocker ready for paint this weekend, which means it will probably be in three weeks.   8-/

IMG_20220220_132649556.thumb.jpg.a2c0d9bf8fca291e6184867423268e71.jpg

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors