tii74

VIN Decals in door

86 posts / 4450 viewsLast Reply

8 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

My contribution form my 75. Not bad for 42 years old! I wish I could say the same for the roof. Thats some serious patina......

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

The ‘75-‘76 “c version”, with its use of tiny round perforations to define the manufacturing date and VIN, seems to hold up extremely well.  They perfected the U.S. VIN sticker just as ‘02 production wound down.

Metallic paints?  Well, that’s quite a different story...

(Below, original Polaris metallic on my ‘76’s roof, prior to the recent re-paint.)

Regards,

Steve

6B39D648-6D26-4B21-B985-606D8EC17B6D.jpeg

7255FC03-14D6-4F64-B0A3-64541AE16B81.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

12 hours ago, dbmw2002 said:

India ink  is the ink of choice, will not go away.

What I learned from the rubber stamp people is that standard inks are water-based and we need solvent-based to adhere to the reflective sticker.  That's the rub.  You can buy water-based inks all day long, but solvent-based are less common and difficult to apply (perfectly) as the ink dries on the stamp very quickly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Roundeie said:

Not much left to see on mine. Faint 2, 4, and 6 (VIN 2577467) stamped on the label. Sent the vendor manufacture date and VIN in hopes he could produce one. I guess not.

B2E2A38C-1F8B-4D80-81F0-F8D5314173A9.thumb.jpeg.747a0dec5f6cf1dd2d2a033e54592420.jpeg

Uh-oh,

This is a fourth version of the U.S. door VIN sticker, and perhaps it is the first version, or, at least, a version pre-dating Paul's pre-'74 version...

I'm guessing your car's manufacturing date is September 1st or 2nd, 1971, making it one of the first U.S. 1971 models.  (Do you have a date from BMW Archives?)

This version lists no weights and has a black border, unlike the version Paul is working with, and a different typeface from Paul's, although I'm accustomed to seeing Paul's style on many 1972 and 1973 '02's.  Did the sticker change ca. January 1, 1972, in response to U.S. rules and regulations?

I guess we, once again, need more data....😗

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

This is a fourth version of the U.S. door VIN sticker, and perhaps it is the first version, or, at least, a version pre-dating Paul's pre-'74 version...

I noticed that.  First time I've seen that version.

Also noticed that the VIN stamp left an impression in the sticker. Applied with some force, I guess.

My model year '73 was assembled in December '72--apparently the driver's door was damaged in shipment  (it was sold new in CA) and was replaced before going to the dealer, so there's never  been a sticker on the driver's door.  I know it wasn't post-sale accident damage as I have all the paperwork from when the car was first sold.  

So apparently BMW didn't replace those stickers in this situation, and sent 'em on to dealers without stickers.  And apparently CA didn't mind either, as it was sold new in Mill Valley CA. 

mike

Anyone have an inked VIN with an 8, 9, or 0? A clearer 6 would help too. I’m trying to figure out the font. Geometric 706 is close.

just ordered my replacement decal through eBay, after confirming the manufacturing date with BMW.

The BMW 2002 US VIN 4224981 was manufactured on March 22nd, 1974 and delivered on March 28th, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021.

Anyone have an inked VIN with an 8, 9, or 0? A clearer 6 would help too. I’m trying to figure out the font. Geometric 706 is close.

I sent a request to info.group archive for information on the ink and font used on the door VIN sticker. Andreas Hartz responded he could not find any info about any ink being used to stamp the VIN nor info on a font and he seems to infer the metal stamped VINs.

I followed up with a more specific question about the USA-delivered cars  prior to 1974 having a sticker on the driver’s door with inked numbers and that 1974 and later having punched dots for the numbers. He had no information about any of these stickers.....thought maybe BMW North America might have some information.

Is it possible that these stickers were put on by Hoffman and inked or stamped accordingly?

Dan

On 2/26/2018 at 8:07 PM, Roundeie said:

Production date?

9-71  Sticker applied at the factory.

• Like 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, jimk said:

9-71  Sticker applied at the factory.

+1

I agree with Jim.  I believe the U.S.-mandated stickers were applied at the factory, just like sealed-beam headlights, sidemarkers, U.S. emissions controls, etc.  I’m not in the least surprised that BMW Archives has no information regarding U.S.-only stickers applied to a model that ceased production more than 40 years ago.  I would have been shocked if they knew more.... 😯

Query:   Does BMW, or the BMW Museum, own a full U.S.-spec example of an ‘02, bumpers, emissions, et al?  Just curious.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv