• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN Decals in door

tii74

3 hours ago, Glen Karr said:

I may be misunderstanding the perforation part of the discussion.  My whole decal is perforated but not the MFG date nor the ViN.  Both are gone. Must have been ink that went away.

Glen

Glen,

When I refer to "perforations," I'm referring solely to the use of tiny round holes to define the manufacturing date and the VIN.  I am NOT referring to the intentional "self-destructive" design of the stock, implemented to deter swapping of VIN stickers.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, tii74 said:

My '74 tii decal (top picture) has the VIN and date perforated.  07/74

Excellent!  How'd you like to provide a little...sharper photo?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

3 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

For Steve's extensive database he's keeping, here's my "b" sticker, manufacturer date of 12/19/73.  Date and vin# perforations stamping are barely visible.  

Door VIN.jpg

Whoa, Steve!  Excellent and surprising data point!

So, in addition to ink and perforations, there’s stamping!  So, chronologically, here’s my straw man, a starting point in figuring out the development of the U.S.-only door-mounted VIN stickers:

REVISED FOR STEVE AND GLEN'S DISCOVERIES IN THE LATEST INSTALLMENT OF  "CSI '02"!

1.  When did the Federally-mandated VIN sticker first appear?  I’m accustomed to seeing them on 1972 models.  I can’t recall one on my early 1970 (September 8, 1969).  What are your cars showing?

2.  The first style of marking the manufacturing date and VIN appears to have been ink, but the ink was fugitive and faded over time.

3.  Ca. December 1973, BMW appears to be stamping the numbers to avoid the fugitive-ink problem.  But... the stamping method may have proven to be non-compatible with the self-destructive stock used to discourage VIN sticker swapping.

4.  The stamping seen on Steve's December 1973 tii is also present -- when examined carefully in raking light -- on Glen's April 1974 tii.

5.  And, by July 1974, BMW appears to have moved to using a series of tiny round perforations to define the manufacturing date and VIN.

6.  1975 and 1976 models appear to have used this system of tiny round perforations.

So let’s see what holes we can poke in this chronology, or what additional information we can add!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

OK.  Got down on my knees and tried the old CSI trick.  Shined the flashlight beam across the decal. Steve Tochi is correct.  The stamping was almost iimperceptible except on one number in my VIN, the eight (8) which I could barely make out.  Whoever was in charge of stamping did not do a very good job on mine or over the years the imprint has relaxed.  Now that I think about it I do remember seeing at least the VIN many years back.

Best,

Glen

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Glen Karr said:

OK.  Got down on my knees and tried the old CSI trick.  Shined the flashlight beam across the decal. Steve Tochi is correct.  The stamping was almost iimperceptible except on one number in my VIN, the eight (8) which I could barely make out.  Whoever was in charge of stamping did not do a very good job on mine or over the years the imprint has relaxed.  Now that I think about it I do remember seeing at least the VIN many years back.

Best,

Glen

Boy, you guys are fanatics!  What do you tell your wives, "Hon, I'm going out to the garage to look at my VIN sticker in raking light!"  ?

"Sounds dangerous, be careful, Dear!"

(I updated the chronology above to encourage more nuttiness!)

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruzr said:

The build date and VIN are stamped on the sticker I posted earlier. The dark ink as in Jim's sticker has faded over the years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The VIN is just barely visible near the bottom.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Not to stray too far from this topic....

When I eventually get to painting my 74 Tii Polaris including the golden jambs, would like opinions on:

1) taping the sticker then painting

2) remove, paint then buy a repro which may not be a "b" sticker

3) try the super human task of removing the perforated sticker, and gluing it back on after paint. (if fails, see option 2)

4) remove sticker, paint jambs and don't worry about it.

5) don't paint car, leave money in kids college fund.

1 hour ago, Steve Tochi said:

Not to stray too far from this topic....

When I eventually get to painting my 74 Tii Polaris including the golden jambs, would like opinions on:

1) taping the sticker then painting

2) remove, paint then buy a repro which may not be a "b" sticker

3) try the super human task of removing the perforated sticker, and gluing it back on after paint. (if fails, see option 2)

4) remove sticker, paint jambs and don't worry about it.

5) don't paint car, leave money in kids college fund.

Well, Steve, the kids will (someday) appreciate if you choose 5.  But I actually chose option 1 for my '76, but solely with respect to the VIN sticker -- all other stickers came off.

Why?  First, because my VIN sticker was in perfect condition (first photo).  Second, because my car was in a batch of 2,000+ 1976 U.S. 2002's -- manufactured from February-ish to May-ish 1976 -- that never received a metal VIN tag on the right front inner fender.  Missing that metal VIN tag from new, I figured I better "stand by" that original door sticker.

For my tii, however, the answer might be different (second photo)....?

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

Edited by Conserv