dlacey

Replacing turbo exhaust manifold - options?

42 posts / 4363 viewsLast Reply

All,

Some of you may have followed the story of the Malaysia 02turbo, the car is currently stripped down to a bare shell for rust repairs to the front section which must have been exposed to the weather...rearward to the A post all is in good condition.

As you recall the car had been converted to Right Hand Drive, i now conclude that is a later modification, the quality of the work proving quite poor and using second-hand RHD parts, so I will return it to original LHD condition.

To convert back to original LHD I need an original-design exhaust manifold, everything else I have (except the airbox, but I consider that optional right now). The manifold appears to be no longer available, does anyone have any suggestion on replacement options? Maybe a tubular manifold of similar geometry, or anywhere i might find an old stock or damaged/used part??

thanks for your ideas,

dave

Preyuppy here has advised me to search out some old-stock of the orig BMW cast manifold...i am exploring that..

When I first got my car and started looking for sources for parts I remember there were a number of places that had the Turbo Exhaust manifolds for sale.  Granted this was about 10 years ago but it is hard to believe that all of these have been purchased .  I think there is a much better chance that someone has one sitting on a shelf and does not really know what they have.  BMW parts says they will have some the end of February but I'm sure that is just a computer generated message that is keeping the part number active.  I'll believe it when I see it. 

Contact these, but there are varying opinions of what the material is. I know nothing about their competency, I just collected the research for possible future use.

I would not just "have it welded" (BTDT) as it will have a tendency to crack again.

http://www.accastingrebuilders.com/index.html

http://www.castironwelding.co.uk/veteran-vintage-and-classic-motor-vehicles-casting-repairs/

http://www.cast-iron-repair.com/vintage.htm

http://www.midwestcylinderhead.com/services.php

Something is better than nothing, yes?

ted

Thanks, I will explore...agree that even if it only lasts a year then that's one more year of fun.

I wondered if anyone here has experienced this type of cracking on an 02turbo and has repaired it successfully?

The original manifolds are cast stainless! I know this because mine was cracked ( not as bad as this one I believe) .  I was able to get it repaired by a local guy that is a very serious welder/ fabricator that is known for piecing old Hemi blocks and Keith Black drag racing blocks back together. I almost could not see the repair when he was done and I went ahead and had it ceramic coated along with the exhaust snail on my Turbo trying to control the heat. So far so good but this is also the reason I went looking for exhaust manifolds 10-12 years ago and why I have a NOS one on the shelf that is not for sale. 

It is very much like welding cast iron but your filler rod is different. You do need an oven to heat it up before welding and then again to slowly cool it all off. So far mine has been ok.  I think the biggest problem with our turbos and manifolds are sustained high speeds then sudden stops and everything cools down to quickly.  We don’t seem to have anywhere near the problem here in the US as they do in Germany etc. where they have roads like the Autobahn. Not many of us use our cars for track toys any longer and that seems to make things live a lot longer too. 

Help me to understand; I just went out and put a magnet to the Turbo manifold and a Tii manifold I have around. The Turbo has a slight magnetic affinity and the Tii a bit more, but neither really strong as if it were steel.

If it were stainless, it should not be magnetic at all, yes?

The current manifold I use has thousands of track miles on it with no cracks. I think a contributing factor is the tuning and the gas; too lean.

All I know is my welder told me it was a stainless alloy when I took it to him to be repaired. He did it and it’s still working, I have not had it analyzed I’m just passing on what I was told.