• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Cluster

fst2002

So I just picked up a silver dollar cluster which I would like to clean up but not seeing any detailed info on taking apart... Anyone have any info before I tackle opening it up...

Thanks

IMG_1976.jpg

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2578838 was manufactured on September 28th, 1971 and delivered on
October 05th, 1971 to BMW Concessionaires G.B. Ltd. in Brighton/Sussex. The original
colour was Riviera, paint code 036

I took mine apart to repair the odometer.  It seemed pretty straight forward.  I did heed the warning(s) to avoid touching the faces and just dusted them off.  The glass lenses are fun to clean up.  Doing the insides made a huge difference.  That is a very nice looking cluster.

I did find that the original grease on the odometer gears was pretty dry and just sitting beside the gears.  I cleaned all that stuff off and used a little bit of Sil-glyde.  (this also shows why my odometer was not spinning)

027.thumb.JPG.a81920c2a963ce12f7df84c9936d6330.JPG

007.thumb.JPG.a45b0df3127989574d27de9c98b29e57.JPG

Have fun!

Tom

I had a tutorial up that was messed up thanks to photobucket.  It will be back up in the next month or so.  Taking it apart is pretty straight forward (just need a little patience). 

FYI, I've also got glare-free UV-proof gauge glass that will be available next week.  It's also a great time to switch to LED's, add a ground for the temp gauge, replace odometer gears (if broken), and paint the trim chrome if you want.

• Like 1

does the large yellow gear going into the odometer housing turn pretty easy?  I always though of gutting mine and putting in electronics and if a small stepper motor could turn that gear it would keep the vintage odometer output.  the problem with small steppers is they have minimal torque.  seeing the two worm gear reductions there it wouldn't have to turn very fast.

Thanks guys... gonna play with it this weekend!!!

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2578838 was manufactured on September 28th, 1971 and delivered on
October 05th, 1971 to BMW Concessionaires G.B. Ltd. in Brighton/Sussex. The original

27 minutes ago, fst2002 said:

gonna play with it this weekend!!!

Just go slow with the dis-assembly.  Take some pictures to remind yourself of various details.  4mm (?) socket to remove rear plates.  Handle gauges carefully to minimize touching the bare faces.  I usually put the gauges aside on paper towels.  The glass is held in with metal rings that are wedged against the housing at spots around their circumference.  Tapping counter-clockwise will un-wedge the ring, freeing up the glass.  EDIT: it might be tapping "clockwise".  (Don't remember exactly which)  You can clearly see the wedged edges of the ring to determine the direction.  Don't tap too hard as the plastic housing tabs are a bit fragile.

Remove and clean the glass.

You can also remove the beauty rings on the front of the pod.  You'll see how they are secured from the inside.

Have fun.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

You guys are great   Thanks!!!

the center glass (and center ring) are slightly larger ...

my center ring was white plastic ... so was easy to differentiate.

easy to take it all apart ... i just did it

tap the inside metal rings 'off' .. from the back side

the bezels can come out if you are careful

the bezels have a tiny detent on them that align them correctly (and keep them from spinning when tapping out the rings)

'satin' black spray on front (mask the brake light)

matte white spray on inside (mask the brake light hole)

take the ring bezels out and spray with silver metallic

mask the edge reveal and spray silver

i was not paying attention enough to have a correct 'before' image ...

but here is an 'okay' before and a proper after:

best of luck!

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

thanks ...

love and patience ... seems to work for almost anything

i've also changed all bulbs to LEDs ...

the warning lights will be bright 'standard' white

the illumination lights are warm and dimmable ...

we'll see how it works once i get it wired back into the car...

excited to see what @fst2002 can do!

22 hours ago, Geoff Raynak said:

thanks ...

love and patience ... seems to work for almost anything

i've also changed all bulbs to LEDs ...

the warning lights will be bright 'standard' white

the illumination lights are warm and dimmable ...

we'll see how it works once i get it wired back into the car...

excited to see what @fst2002 can do!

Looks great - what brand/model LEDs did you use Geoff? Link?

22 hours ago, Geoff Raynak said:

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

soooo ....

i've only been testing with a 9v battery ... to get polarity right as i install everything ...

so far ... the 'warm' lights look great/perfect ... even with 9v ... so assuming the dimmer will work great

here is what i used for 'warm'

here is what i used for standard

i made need actual dimming for 'warm' ... but will deal with that as necessary later and after i test 

who knows if these are great or just basic ... 

i'm not super worried about high lumen output for the dash ... just something decent that will last a while

ALSO: i found these sockets ...

they are almost perfect ... they fit the socket-hole ... but the 'ears' are just a bit tight ... you just need to use a flat-head screwdriver and open up the ears a bit to fit over the PCB

i would use them again ... and would recommend them for anyone looking for an LED upgrade ...