Jam3422

Alpina Intake Manifold

8 posts / 916 viewsLast Reply

I have this Alpina intake manifold and I thought I'd mess around with it to see if I could come up with a linkage setup that looks mostly stock and works with the PHHs.  I think it's a pretty early manifold - it's a 40mm instead of the more commonly seen 45.  I tried a few ideas with some spare linage parts I have, but as I thought, none of them work with the one piece design.  I don't think it would be that big of a deal to fabricate something that works, but I don't want to do something that doesn't look stock, like a modern cable linkage.  I ended up taking it off and putting the stock manifolds back on, but I'm curious, does anyone have a photo of this manifold installed on a running car, in period, either DDHs or DCOE?  I have not been able to find one with this specific manifold.  Thanks.

PC240001.JPG

FWIW, the later Alpina A4 setup used a cable, not linkage like the original Ti's.  your PHH's look very nice.  even the cheesehead screws look unmolested. 

That is a later manifold, as far as i know never used with PHH's, they did use it with 40/45 Solex ADDHE's....and Weber's (export motors I believe).  For many years Alpina used Ti manifolds on their cars and then made manifolds similar to the Ti style only with the Alpina logo cast in.  Then at some point these 'bridge' style manifolds came out - post 1974 or so.  I don't have any pics of that manifold with PHH's,...but might with some DDH's, I'll have to dig around some.

Thanks, that explains why I have only seen photos of the ti style manifolds with DDHs and DCOEs.  I assumed it was early because it's 40 mm, but I suppose there was still demand for 40 mm sidedrafts in lightly modified engines after 1974.  And yes, I've never seen a reference to Alpina using PHHs either.

For what it's worth, this manifold is about 12 mm shorter than the stock ti manifold.

Vacuum for the brake booster taken from cylinder 4 and what looks like a manifold vacuum take off from the runner that connects all 4 cylinders. Designed to use vacuum advance?