Kidasters

Well - I've reached my last resort on the Bultaco

76 posts / 3252 viewsLast Reply

Rain cleared out today.  Went for a ride.  Fancy aluminum seat is really uncomfortable.  Reversed controls (shift on the right side, brake on the left) really messed me up.  At a stop sign, went to stop and shifted into first.  Fouled the plug while talking to some neighbors 2 blocks from the house, and had to push it home.

Luckily, the Bultaco takes the same plugs as the Ferrari, so grabbed a spare and brought it back to life.  I think the 32:1 mixture is too heavy on oil.  Found some old Bultaco literature that says 50:1 is what I should run, so I diluted what was in the tank with some fresh gas.  Will keep playing with it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Guess you don't watch "American Pickers" on the History Channel...

Hey keep it on-topic!

Oh wait!

:D

13 hours ago, jgerock said:

Guess you don't watch "American Pickers" on the History Channel...

13 hours ago, ray_ said:

Hey keep it on-topic!

Oh wait!

:D

Ha.  I've basically stopped watching TV.  Anymore, all I watch are sports.

I've run everything 2-smoke at 50:1 for years; 32:1 is way too rich.  I've had good luck with the Redline 2 stroke race oil, as well as H1R, which you can usually find at the Kawi shops.  Lots of esoteric super-fancy oils out there, too.

After that, if it keeps fouling the plug while idling, slow jet and mixture screw- slow jet primarily.  Should never foul a plug on a 2-stroke *because* it's a 2-stroke- that's people that don't understand how to jet their bikes...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kidasters said:

Thanks Dave - I appreciate the feedback.   Yeah, I'm using the Redline 2-stroke oil.  I'll let you know what happens.

Please do.  I've spent a lot of time making 2 strokes pull really cleanly off the bottom and run well.  I'm happy to help.

• Like 1

Hey guys - just an update.  

After riding around the neighborhood, and almost crashing multiple times, I've decided to sell the Bultaco.  The main reason - the foot controls.  On this bike, the rear brake is on the left side, shifter is on the right side.  It's hard enough to focus on all the other things going on with a motorcycle, and adding that into the mix is too much for my small brain.  Yes - I downshifted  multiple times at stop signs, and also panicked/kept rolling......

Finally - I also have too much stuff, and I need to have some stuff go away.

So - I've listed it on eBay.  We'll see what happens.  I may try Bring A Trailer if I can't sell in on eBay.  We'll see.

Listing is here if you want to comment:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/254068064770

Good!

:) 

Cheers,

(no smart-arse remarks from me this morning -- who'd'a thunk it? :D )

• Confused 1

That sucks.  No fun spending all that time and money and then just selling it, especially when the price doesn't line up with what you've got into it.

And often I don't understand Ray either.