• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the tii cold start system: Control Relay

OriginalOwner

6 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Thank you.

Given the relative simplicity of the circuit I'm planning to take a pass at trying to repair it. The only component that I'm unfamiliar with/not sure how to source is the inductive relay...

2 hours ago, SvenTii said:

Given the relative simplicity of the circuit I'm planning to take a pass at trying to repair it. The only component that I'm unfamiliar with/not sure how to source is the inductive relay...

Let us know the results.  I have 2 on my bench that I'm curious about.  I'm thinking the same thing, although I know nothing of electronics.  I'd search for an electronics repair shop.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

30 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Let us know the results.  I have 2 on my bench that I'm curious about.  I'm thinking the same thing, although I know nothing of electronics.  I'd search for an electronics repair shop.

Will do. So far I have identified that one of the diodes seems to be bad. Will remove and replace it this evening and see if that helps. 

Do your hear a mild rattle when you give your relays a gentle shake?

28 minutes ago, SvenTii said:

Will do. So far I have identified that one of the diodes seems to be bad. Will remove and replace it this evening and see if that helps. 

Do your hear a mild rattle when you give your relays a gentle shake?

One of them has a rattle.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

A rattle ...... my CSV had a rattle, it was due to a transistor that separated into 2 pieces, I found the separated piece when I removed the circuit board from the aluminum "can."  I replaced the transistor which then fixed both the hard starting problem and the rattle.

Cheers,

Carl

2 hours ago, OriginalOwner said:

A rattle ...... my CSV had a rattle, it was due to a transistor that separated into 2 pieces, I found the separated piece when I removed the circuit board from the aluminum "can."  I replaced the transistor which then fixed both the hard starting problem and the rattle.

Cheers,

Carl

Hi Carl,

The rattle is on the printed circuit board ie has already been removed from the aluminum case. I'm guessing it is from the relay which doesn't bode well. Not sure where to source a replacement or a suitable substitute.

Sven

I bought my box from Blunt, takes around 3 weeks for delivery. I now have three boxes, and they all probably work. Once I repair my alternator wires at the plug, I will try them out:

Part Number: 61311354686
Price: $278.80
Quantity: 1

Item(s) Subtotal: $278.80
Shipping & Handling: $11.95
  -----
Total before tax: $290.75
  -----
Total for this Shipment: $290.75

72 2002tii 92-present

73 2002tii 90-92

78 530i 88-91

A friend of mine and I are planning on building near-identical replacement cold start boards + repair of existing boards for reasonable price.

Replacement boards could have customization components - depending on need.

Not quite there yet but we were close to having them built last month, but work got in the way.

PM me if interested!

Cheers,

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

I checked the diode that I thought was bad -- it turned out to be fine. It is parallel to the relay coil and the 38ohms of the coil was fouling the diode reading when it was on the circuit board.

I removed the relay (unsoldered 4 pins) from the board and and tested the piece in isolation. The coil resistance was 38ohms so it was intact. When I applied 6V across the coil it didn't short out the other two leads of the relay. There is a plastic cover on the relay that gives you access to the spring/switch armature mechanism that can be removed with a modest effort just be careful not to damage the pins. Once the cover is removed, the armature pops in and out quite easily. I cleaned up the surfaces and added some graphite to the bushing to help it spin more smoothly. After doing so, applying 6V caused the armature to rotate and short out the other two leads.....after disconnecting the 6V the armature would open the circuit after about a second. So I put the plastic cover back on the relay andI soldered it back on the board -- tested the board by grounding 31 and TK, and applying 3-4 second pulses of 6V to 50 and 15 and measured the voltage at SV. It seemed to be working.

I reinstalled the cold start relay box and my Tii started up relatively easily!! I will retry in the morning when it should be colder but I think I'm good to go. Many thanks for the pointers/help. The wiring diagram was super helpful!!

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, OriginalOwner said:

$290.75 ??   whew, that would make even a guy like me go un-original and just install a little 99-cent push switch.

Cheers,

That was me :ph34r:

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2018 at 10:46 PM, SvenTii said:

I checked the diode that I thought was bad -- it turned out to be fine. It is parallel to the relay coil and the 38ohms of the coil was fouling the diode reading when it was on the circuit board.

I removed the relay (unsoldered 4 pins) from the board and and tested the piece in isolation. The coil resistance was 38ohms so it was intact. When I applied 6V across the coil it didn't short out the other two leads of the relay. There is a plastic cover on the relay that gives you access to the spring/switch armature mechanism that can be removed with a modest effort just be careful not to damage the pins. Once the cover is removed, the armature pops in and out quite easily. I cleaned up the surfaces and added some graphite to the bushing to help it spin more smoothly. After doing so, applying 6V caused the armature to rotate and short out the other two leads.....after disconnecting the 6V the armature would open the circuit after about a second. So I put the plastic cover back on the relay andI soldered it back on the board -- tested the board by grounding 31 and TK, and applying 3-4 second pulses of 6V to 50 and 15 and measured the voltage at SV. It seemed to be working.

I reinstalled the cold start relay box and my Tii started up relatively easily!! I will retry in the morning when it should be colder but I think I'm good to go. Many thanks for the pointers/help. The wiring diagram was super helpful!!

I just did this exact thing, including finding the false negative diode!  I also took a shot at the relay, I've repaired blinker relays before so what the heck.  Once off the board, slide off the plastic back to reveal the bottom of the elctromagnet.  I sanded the points at the end of the lever as well as where it touches the contact.  I also bent it a little so that it makes good contact reliably.  I used an old 9v battery to test.  Buttoned it back up and it works.  It still rattles a little and looking at the armature inside and the way it lays in there I'm not certain that is a sign of definitive failure.  I've also determined that the cold start circuit is very sensitive to ground, so make sure yours all all sorted and clean.