• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Quaife fit in 02 Open Diff Case?

Lengrep

I think I've located a set of used but usable 3.36 gears for my Turbo, but now face the challenge of building an LSD that looks right.  So I don't want to use an E21 LSD if possible. 

It's my understanding (perhaps wrong) that I can't use E21 LSD guts in an 02 open diff case.  So I'm wondering if the Quaife unit will fit in an open diff case.  I have a spec sheet from them with the dimensions, but have now way of knowing if it's a fit or not.  It's attached to this post.

Anyone out there know the answer?

Thanks!

Quaife dimensions E10 E21.jpg

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

1 hour ago, Lengrep said:

It's my understanding (perhaps wrong) that I can't use E21 LSD guts in an 02 open diff case. 

I'm no expert on this, but I do have an E21 3.64 LSD in my garage, which externally looks very much like the seized 2002 diff sitting next to it.  Other than the E21 diff being a bit narrower and having a different rear cover, they look like at least cousins, so shouldn't deviate too much visually if installed on a 2002.  And there are any number of ways to make 2002 half shafts work with an E-21 diff.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

No it will not fit in a 2002 case, dimension L3 is the issue.  No you cannot use the E21 LSD guts in a 2002 open case diff, BUT you can use an E30 or E36 168mm LSD in a 2002 open case housing (but you will also need to source a pair of E21 flanges).

And congrats on sourcing 3.36 gears, those are tricky.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 2

No it will not fit in a 2002 case, dimension L3 is the issue.  No you cannot use the E21 LSD guts in a 2002 open case diff, BUT you can use an E30 or E36 168mm LSD in a 2002 open case housing (but you will also need to source a pair of E21 flanges).

And congrats on sourcing 3.36 gears, those are tricky.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The QUA-ATBD-4N Quaife unit will fit in the 2002 housing but you must use the #33 11 1 200 682 side bearing housings (still available from BMW, $$$$). You will also need to modify the output shafts by machining a retaining clip grove and plugging the center bolt hole because the Quaife unit does not use the center bolt to hold the shaft into the differential unit.  If you can find a set of the really late 2002 output flanges that used the internal clip to hold them in it makes it a bit easier. 

• Like 3

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

5 hours ago, halboyles said:

Does the QDF6N then work in the '02 case?

QDF6N.pdf

That might just work!  It depends on being able to temporarily remove the cap the same way you would with the 318 pumpkins, but the odds would be in your favor (dimensions are right).  Again, you'd want E21 flanges though.

As for Byron's solution, didn't even think of using those thicker side covers.  That's a neat trick too.

I don't think you can install the QDF6N with the bearings installed into the 2002 case.  The dimensions are about right but if you have taken the Open diff out of the case you know that you have to rotate the carrier so that it can be pulled out by pulling the crown gear up first and rotating the entire unit out.  With the fully round housing of the limited slip (and the Quaife unit) you can't rotate it out that way, it has to be pulled straight out.  That is why the factory limited slip is made with the bearings closer together than the open diff so they will clear the housing (this is why the factory used a different side bearing housing that moved the outer race further inboard)  

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

27 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

That might just work!

7 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

I don't think you can install the QDF6N with the bearings installed into the 2002 case.

Challenge accepted!  No, seriously, I have no experience with installing the Quaife units having only rebuilt the OEM LSDs for the e10s.  And I sincerely appreciate the decades of experience of both Andrew and Bryon.

But "I love a good scrap" (see minute 6 in the video) and, through a series of trades, I do have both Quaife units in hand.  So I am very interested in trying to make this work.  I might have a chance to try the fittings over the holidays and will report back.

• Like 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Challenge accepted!  No, seriously, I have no experience with installing the Quaife units having only rebuilt the OEM LSDs for the e10s.  And I sincerely appreciate the decades of experience of both Andrew and Bryon.

But "I love a good scrap" (see minute 6 in the video) and, through a series of trades, I do have both Quaife units in hand.  So I am very interested in trying to make this work.  I might have a chance to try the fittings over the holidays and will report back.

Standing by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did 2 diffs with the 4N and if the Quaife had been .005” wider it would not have gone into the case. According to the spec sheet the 6N is 15mm wider than the 4N. I’ll be interested to see if you can actually get it IN the case. If you can you might be able to use the standard open diff side bearing carriers. 

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

10 hours ago, Preyupy said:

I just did 2 diffs with the 4N and if the Quaife had been .005” wider it would not have gone into the case. According to the spec sheet the 6N is 15mm wider than the 4N. I’ll be interested to see if you can actually get it IN the case. If you can you might be able to use the standard open diff side bearing carriers. 

You built them in E21 open diff cases?