• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS: Restored 370mm Vintage Momo Prototipo

_Markos_

Price: $650

Description:

Hi Folks,

I don’t post here much but some of you may know me from the e9 forum. I recently restored a vintage momo prototipo. The wheel has the original foam but all new period correct leather and stitching. The work was done in Europe by a skilled craftsman that is able to closely and accurately reproduce the complex momo stitch pattern. The work is absolutely stunning.

Also included is a very rare silver ring period correct momo horn button. The only other for sale at the moment is $300 on eBay. It is one of

my prized bits but it completes the package. The hub is an equally unobtanium solid hub #153. I also have a replacement horn plunger in order from ECS tuning, which I will install before shipping. I have the wheel mounted to an accordian hub in the pics, but it is not included (unless you prefer a collapsible hub instead).

This wheel is for someone looking for a like-new period piece. With that said it is over 40 years old. There are a few dings on the wheel, and the horn button has minor scuffs. The Prototipo logo has long since vanished. A little context about the wheel. This one has a standard logo with no date. It had a square stitch on the spoke wrap as well. The stacked momo logo ended around 1973. The date code started in the late ‘70’s. The square stitch ended around 1981. This wheels is from the mid 70’s and age appropriate for the 2002.

24287575697_7559ae5ed7_b.jpg

39147643791_01aff9521f_b.jpg

27369483649_199f22a2e2_b.jpg

39117162752_0787ab6e56_b.jpg

38266560175_eb7c277d04_b.jpg

27370124279_b842b31c86_b.jpg

25282597108_948662409f_b.jpg

38439222204_0caf701826_b.jpg

Edited by _Markos_
wheel size

Hi Joe,

Sorry about that. The forum format kind of hides the price. The total is $650 shipped. I like to break things down to the sum of their parts. So with that said, figure $150 for a solid momo hub. $150 for a silver ring horn button (as mentioned ther is one for sale on eBay). The new horn contact was $20 from ECS. That leaves $330 for the wheel, keeping in mind that I just paid to have it recovered and the going rate for a decent job is $175 - $250. Shipping to the lower 48 will probably cost me around $25.

Ebay Reference: The button is actually $265

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MOMO-BMW-Steering-Wheel-Horn-Button-1600-2002-3-0CSL-e9-e21-e30-e24-e36/152802411027

Markos,

would you be so kind as to share the name, address and contact information of your leather steering wheel refurbisher. I have several vintage Momo steering wheels and have been looking for a good place to have them recovered.

DSCN8830.thumb.JPG.174cab9fcbf23a7b60f9b7a9a9c3c8b9.JPGSincerely, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

30 minutes ago, tisalover said:

Markos,

would you be so kind as to share the name, address and contact information of your leather steering wheel refurbisher. I have several vintage Momo steering wheels and have been looking for a good place to have them recovered.

DSCN8830.thumb.JPG.174cab9fcbf23a7b60f9b7a9a9c3c8b9.JPG

Peter, is that a LazyBoy for driver's seat you got there? Looks comfy

Hey Freude am Fahren,

I am glad you like the seat. It is a Restall Master Fit seat with TISA side bolsters and black vinyl.  They are incredibly comfortable and very supportive. They were made by English master craftsman in the 1960s with tube frames and fiberglass pieces in order to provide a lightweight high performance seat. They were standard on the 200 factory  homologated TISA racers circa 1965.  The black vinyl goes well with the original 2002 TI interior, and the seat is period Correct, it also goes well with the early Jackie Stewart GP Momo steering wheel. I am happily obscessed with BMW performance models and hot rod parts from the 60s and 70s.

Best regards, Peter

DSCN1371.JPG

• Like 2

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum