• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 BMW 1600ti

Hello! Decided to share some pictures of my recently acquired 68 1600ti. Super excited with this car! Runs and drives. Definitely needs some work but overall a very original unmolested car. Came on a set of Cosmic Mk1 wheels. Only one of those tires held air so thats the wheel thats on the front. Curious if anyone here can identify the steering wheel? A brief history on the car as far as I know. Originally delivered to Canada Dec 13, 1967, 50 years ago today. Polaris silver. It was sold in B.C. and remained there until only a few years ago when it came to Alberta. B.C. has great roads and does not use salt so the bottom of the car is surprisingly nice. B.C. also isn't plagued with rocks like Albertas roads are, this means original crack free headlights and believe it or not this car has the original windshield which is free of cracks and separation. Twin webber 40's are in place of the long gone solexs. Other than that the engine bay looks untouched. It has the dimpled front hood trim as well. I'm curious when the changeover was for that? Also the long neck diff and u-joint axles are still there. Also wondering when these were discontinued! Any feedback is appreciated. The plan is to do a mechanical restoration and make it a solid driver, leaving the paint and body as is. Redo the interior as well. What would you do?

BTTEJJTh.jpg

kBzbNVDh.jpg
7a75SEth.jpg
MFPnilch.jpg
g5Fys4yh.jpg
gA6WZV3h.jpg
5Gtjxvrh.jpg
IWAeuM6h.jpg
zb9Z7Inh.jpg

Edited by ClassDavid
  • Like 1

Ruff - but restorable.  Thanks for trying to save another ti!

Regarding the embossed front trim,  my 69 standard 2002 came to me with this trim.

1969BMW2002001.jpg

I have some spare Solex 40PHH carburetors should you decide to change back to the original configuration. 

IMG_7178.jpg  

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

21 hours ago, jgerock said:

Ruff - but restorable.  Thanks for trying to save another ti!

Regarding the embossed front trim,  my 69 standard 2002 came to me with this trim.

1969BMW2002001.jpg

I have some spare Solex 40PHH carburetors should you decide to change back to the original configuration. 

Good to know about the carbs! Also the hood trim looks different on your 69. Looks like the 6 indentations are smooth, not speckled like the 1600ti. Interesting!

I couldn't find any marking on the steering wheel! It should be a fairly easy project I think. Basically new suspension and brakes and that will be the majority of work. The body is quite solid. I'm not touching it.The rear strut towers are mint. The fenders are rotted through but they are staying on the car! 

Congratulations David,

I saw the bottom photographs of the car and they are amazing. You may want to spray rust killer and then waxy inside the rear shock tower bulkheads, and do some other rustproofing including the front frame rails to keep the old girl as structurally beautiful as she is otherwise.

The period Correct cosmic wheels will be great on it. Fantastic car, thank you for posting.

Best regards, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum