• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 Tii - Legit?

aviatorlawyer

3 hours ago, tii bimmer said:

#4 would be the actual VIN plate.

#5, found only on U.S.-spec cars manufactured from 1970 onward is the paper manufacturing date and VIN sticker attached to the rear-facing panel of the left door.

Below is said sticker from my ‘76, along with the adjacent ‘76-only “no catalyst” sticker.

Unfortunately, before they began using perforations to define the manufacturing date and VIN, ca. 1974, they used a fairly fugitive ink which makes it hard to read the manufacturing date and VIN on many of these inked versions.

Regards,

Steve

D25D8961-027D-4E29-B52D-3FE9B3607BFC.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As rehabceo already suggested, you’ll likely find it’s a July 1974-manufactured example.  BMW Archives — no charge, with an email to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com — will give you the precise original manufacturing date and the factory exterior color.

I agree with esty, the swapped-out nosepiece is no big deal — a routine repair in the ‘70’s, when the cost of a new nosepiece, installed, was often the better choice compared to the labor and skill necessary to restore the compound curves of the fragile nosepiece.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Great suggestion above to check with BMW as to the original color.  Turns out this one was originally Polaris Metallic, not Fjord Blue.  See below.

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2782292 was manufactured on July 5th, 1974 and delivered on July 8th, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz
--
BMW Group
Andreas Harz
Archiv, Sammlung, Classic Brand Management  
AK-50
Historischer Informationsdienst
Moosacher Str. 66
80809 München

Postanschrift:
80788 München

• Like 1

As stated above check the VIN's and that is not the original nose with the "snorkle" for a carburetted car.

Also: The bulkhead is notched which is a good thing (subject to the VIN's) and the interior dash shot is covering the space occupied by a clock.

You want to check the undersides very carefully indeed. If you are serious there may be people here on this forum willing to look at it for or with you.

If you have a paint gauge & know how to use it - check all over to check the paint thickness

Get the VIN and  check it with BMW Classic. They will email you production date, where shipped to and original color. May be worthwhile running car fax or whatever on it as well.

For a quick education in prices  vs  condition you can also check here : https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/2002/

Good luck!

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

10 hours ago, aviatorlawyer said:

Great suggestion above to check with BMW as to the original color.  Turns out this one was originally Polaris Metallic, not Fjord Blue.  See below.

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2782292 was manufactured on July 5th, 1974 and delivered on July 8th, 1974 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz
--
BMW Group
Andreas Harz
Archiv, Sammlung, Classic Brand Management  
AK-50
Historischer Informationsdienst
Moosacher Str. 66
80809 München

Postanschrift:
80788 München

So fast and easy, they could charge money for it!  ?

Thus, the car’s present color, Fjord, although Fjord is an excellent color and was available at the time, was not this car’s original color.  Polaris is silver (my ‘76, below, is Polaris).

This was a relatively easy color change because navy blue was the most common interior color for both Polaris and Fjord.

Regards,

Steve

313D9EDD-C7D9-461C-ACFB-BDD1C38DD16D.jpeg

38ADA13B-222C-4E30-B471-368F2AB5E4AB.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

I would say this one is a "it depends on what you really care about" kind of situation.  

If you are a stickler for originality, then this might not be a great choice.  We know it was color-changed, it has an aftermarket AC set up that you don't see too often in 02s in it, and as someone pointed out, there is the snorkel.  There is over-spray under the hood, which is to say the POs weren't shooting for award-winning results.  The plentiful and inexpensive alloys that aren't really the correct offset for an 02 say this could have been a fairly budget-driven and/or backyard restoration.  No chassis or trunk pics are also a little suspect.   

If the body/chassis is in good shape (meaning not rusty), and the car is mechanically sorted, it might not be a bad deal, especially if you can get it for a little less.  If it is solid, it might make a nice weekend fun car - it's a pretty color, and it has AC, and you live in Texas.

It is probably too expensive to be a candidate for "take it all back to original".  

Steve, please put your car in some sort of protective bubble - that paint is way too nice to be just sitting out in the open like that.  God.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

2 hours ago, saaron said:

....Steve, please put your car in some sort of protective bubble - that paint is way too nice to be just sitting out in the open like that.  God.  

Scott

Thank you, Scott!

I tend to grumble at over-restored cars -- I view them as "not my cup of tea" -- and I was carefully walking the line to avoid falling into that trap.  And then came The Big Re-Paint!

"Would you like an extra color coat?"  "Would you like a bit more clearcoat?"  "Should we correct this very noticeable defect in the factory schutz?"

I said yes to pretty much everything.  And....metallic paints and two-stage paints have come a long way since my '76 got its factory-defective two-stage Polaris in '76.  So, yes, my '76's finish is definitely over-restored.  It better not fail in 3 1/2 years like the factory job!  ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

I said yes to pretty much everything.  And....metallic paints and two-stage paints have come a long way since my '76 got its factory-defective two-stage Polaris in '76.  So, yes, my '76's finish is definitely over-restored.  It better not fail in 3 1/2 years like the factory job!  ?

It looks incredible.  You should be lovin' it!

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI