• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now you feel them, now you don't - shift gates

Healey3000

Hi,

This morning, I got into the car, to be greeted by a shifter that felt like bubblegum.  I know my shift platform blocks are in need of replacement but I was surprised that the shifter feel could go from good to nothing overnight.  It wasn't particularly cold, so I doubt the gearbox itself could do this.

I struggled through the drive, hoping it would warm up and clear up, but it didn't.  Then at one intersection, starting off from a stop, I put it into 3rd gear instead of 1st, by mistake.  Engine stalled, the drivetrain  heaved in protest, the requisite clunking noises were emitted - but my shift gates were back!  The question then - what could cause such a dramatic change in feel?  Is it really all about those two support blocks?  I've been putting it off because there's a 5-speed waiting to go in.

Can one replace those blocks without dropping the driveshaft?  I realize I'll have to get one of those long, ball-ended hex drivers.

Thanks!

I replaced mine with the driveshaft in place.

It did not seem all that difficult.

Easier than messing with the driveline, imho.

022.thumb.JPG.9c990077a3da50fc84d4301b4330540b.JPG

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

The hex bolts have worked themselves loose, more than likely.  Get it up in the air and tighten everything up.  It's very easy. No need to drop the driveshaft.  A good flashlight will help you see the hex bolts; and you can use hex attachments on a rachet extension for the job. It's tight quarters but not that difficult.

Good luck, should only take a few minutes once your under there.

Ed

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Hi,

My blocks need to be replaced as they are cracked.  I noted this a few months ago but was hoping to limp along till the swap.  I think I better replace them ASAP.  I'm still not sure I understand why there would be such an abrupt change in behavior.

Thanks.

I remove the driveshaft (not that hard) for several reasons:

1) I can more easily get my tools in there, and thoroughly inspect the backside of the transmission. (resisting the urge to type "carefully inspect the backside of the trans") 

2) In order for those allen head bolts to stay put, I always, without fail, clean the threads in the trans case, then apply blue loctite to them, before install. Loctite doesn't stick to grease and oil, so cleanliness is important.

3) I'll often replace the shifter knuckle and / or upgrade the circlips while I;m in there, and doing it above the driveshaft is a drag.

To remove driveshaft:

1) unbolt 3 bolt exhaust flange and swing center resonator out of the way.

2) Unbolt the four bolts that hold the guibo to the trans flange.

3) loosen and remove center bearing nuts.

4) Swing driveshaft out of the way, and go to town on the shifter business. 

For reassembly - if not using a new guibo, lean against the side of the rubber guibo, to align each bolt, one at a time. They are designed to expand, when not held captive by their shipping / storage steel strap/band, and thus - the bolt holes will not perfectly align, when re-used.  

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I had this happen to me once as well... driving down the road and within a matter of minutes went from drivable to couldn't grab a gear to save my life. 

It's likely the hex-bolts that hold together/stabilize the shifter platform, as Zinz describes. 

Getting under the car and tightening everything up is likely your solve. You shouldn't need to remove the driveshaft and all (I didn't) but it sure will make the job easier depending on whats loose. 

That said, if you're going to mess with it at all and can wait till the weekend, go ahead and do everything as Paul describes. replacing bushings, checking overall health back there, fresh grease, etc. is a good idea. 

Also think to use some loctite or nyloc nuts to mitigate it happening again in the future. 

Edited by 2002Scoob

• 3 weeks later...

FInally got around to replacing the plate mounting blocks.  A diabolical design, diabolical!  It felt like an unholy offspring of Tetris and origami.  Of course, I made things difficult for myself by not dropping the driveshaft.  I did have to remove the backup switch, the diagonal platform brace and unhook the shifter from the selector rod.

Everything is stable now but oddly, neutral is very stiff.  I'm used to the shifter naturally landing in the 3-4 gate but now it will stay at 1-2 or 3-4 if I move it there.  Going to 1-2 produces a click, probably from the shifter ball but it's hard to be sure.  I did not overhaul that part as I thought the problem was only with the blocks.  I'm thinking of trying a Teflon lubricant from the top to see if things loosen up.

15 minutes ago, kbmb02 said:

Thought: if - when reassembling - the shift plate didn’t get pushed ‘up’ towards the tunnel via the adjustable/slotted end of the diagonal platform brace, it’s possible the knuckle and/or linkage are rubbing on the underside of the shift plate. -KB

I do think you are on to something.  I completely forgot to push the platform up.  Grrr!

Thanks, time to go back under!

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:14 AM, zinz said:

The hex bolts have worked themselves loose, more than likely.  Get it up in the air and tighten everything up.  It's very easy. No need to drop the driveshaft.  A good flashlight will help you see the hex bolts; and you can use hex attachments on a rachet extension for the job. It's tight quarters but not that difficult.

Good luck, should only take a few minutes once your under there.

Ed

Took around four hours :-)

Between figuring out the correct angles for access, cleaning everything up (the output shaft seal is clearly shot), crawling out from under the car each time I needed a tool, etc., my abs got quite the  workout.  Sure wish I had a lift.

Got under there and pushed up the platform.  While it clearly needed to be moved, it wasn't the problem after all.  A few drops of my son's bicycle chain lubricant (non-greasy) cleared things right up.  Shifter is nice and smooth with no clicks or rough spots.  Neutral now sits where it should.

Ready to drive!  Thanks to everyone for their help.